Beta day 6? project 6? (Cool Contraption)

Very cool!

1 Like

I donā€™t ask him either.

5 Likes

Beautiful piece, and an awesome testament to the power of Glowforge!

One thought I had is that if you want to make the hardware a bit less conspicuous you could countersink the screws a little bit deeper and then glue in thin circles of plywood to cover them. Without putty/paint you would still be able to see the laser-cut lines, but that could be a cool aesthetic as well.

Also, if Iā€™m not mistaken, the fact that you sandwiched the joints between pieces of wood means that you etched those grooves into the wood as well! Thatā€™s awesome!

2 Likes

Wait. What?

1 Like

Thanks, that is a good ideaā€¦ for a different project. :slight_smile:
I was originally planning on putting the screws on the bottom, but I ended up liking the way they looked (except for the not lining up part).

3 Likes

I love seeing a moving sculpture born from the Forge! I now have gimbal lust.

6 Likes

Nice project Josh!

Starting with a simple sketch and a previous creation to build something new with the Glowforge. I can see how this would have taken lots of time as you continued to refine the details and build a gimbal that operates smoothly. All of the details really look great.

Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Any insights into the pic of the Glowforge? What do you notice? Not having seen a laser IRL, I am not sure what I am looking at other than a tube (canā€™t read that QR code!) and what must be the business end of the optics. The Glowforge looks remarkably simple. Very clean designs.

1 Like

Nothing I noticed about the Glowforge itself that we havenā€™t seen in other pictures, unless I missed something. I did notice a few other things in the picture.

Iā€™m curious about the frosted acrylic pieces in the corner.

4 Likes

Right below the ā€œwhatā€™s thatā€ look to be lenses. Iā€™m sure they werenā€™t cut on the laser but Iā€™m curious on what they are being used for!

1 Like

I have a feeling my desk is going to look like this december

1 Like

I guarantee mine will be worse than that, and it will look like my house is on fire with all the smoke going out the window.

2 Likes

:sunglasses:

7 Likes

Ah, whispers Pst. are you making a microscope?

1 Like

Attach various fins and such and put sand beneath, with it outside of course. Gentle breezes moving it would make ever changing designs in the sand.

4 Likes

All I will admit to at the moment is that I am making a mess.

18 Likes

Touche.

2 Likes

Now thatā€™s a project after my liking

Holy cowā€”youā€™ve done it again! Iā€™m seriously coming back to these forums hoping youā€™ve posted some new project just so I can see what kind of awesomeness Iā€™ve yet to realize I could do whenever my Glowforge comes. Love that this was such a random/obscure thing that ended up becoming something real. Thank you again, and keep the projects coming!

1 Like

8 Likes