Beta Project 5_JM - Kiddo Coasters

Oh holy cow, are you kidding? I’m in Texas, is it safe to ship? (I’d love to buy some off of you, and others might as well.)

How much do you think I would need? (General use, nothing for sale, just a few gifts and things for family and friends.)

:smiley:

I’ll see what I can find for containers and see what usps has to say. I’ll get back to you. Maybe this is something proof grade should sell.

5 Likes

Not a bad suggestion.

Gonna flag @dan . :relaxed:

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion! Is there some reason the product on Amazon wouldn’t work for you?

Tom says this one (the MC-bond) results in a clearer bond. (less visible when using transparent acrylics). :relaxed:

OK, I can get 4oz bottles from mcmaster for a few bucks. Doesn’t look like it is restricted because its not flammable, and its a few bucks to ship, So lets say $20 with shipping.
Now the disclaimer, When we glue up acrylic we spend a lot of time dressing the edges to get good clear joints and they are still not 100%. I don’t have a laser yet and haven’t tried gluing a laser cut edge, I’m guessing it will need to be squared up with sandpaper. But I will experiment as soon as I get my forge! and will post my results.

2 Likes

Oh that would be super fantastic! (Let’s say $30…for your time as well, no one ever charges for that.)

Do you PayPal? Shoot me a PM with your email address when the bottles arrive and you’re ready to go, and I’ll PM you my address.

Squeeeeeeeeee! :grinning:

2 Likes

Methylene chloride is bad for your eyes. Do wear appropriate equipment… (probably not good for liver/kidneys either)…

1 Like

Yep, got all the equipment. :slight_smile: (air-tight goggles (which also work very well for chopping onions), disposable gloves, syringes and disposable squeeze bottles with needles.)

Oh…and this:

(We sometimes use paint stripper with MC to clean PLA out of nozzles when they need cleaning.)

15 Likes

Cool. I’ve always been warned that it can blind, but reading a few things sounds like that is not as likely. Does irritate the eyes (probably still not a good idea to get a splash in the eye). Seems inhalation is the higher risk…and the associated impacts from that…
https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/mmg/mmg.asp?id=230&tid=42

1 Like

Well, it’s like paint stripper and other spray adhesives - using it outside or in a well ventilated area is likely necessary, because otherwise you’re gonna get a headache. :confounded:

Probably not gonna cause other damage unless you are inhaling it for long periods of time - like those who have to use it in industrial applications. (For that you definitely want safety gear.)

But I’ve gotten more of a buzz stripping furniture. This is going to be a tiny amount in a bottle with a needle tip. Should be okay. (The goggles are a good idea though, in case of splash when the cat trips you up for fun. My kitties do that. Really fun game.)

1 Like

Yes very bad stuff, be very careful!! Luckily it is in very small amounts.
I have seen guys heat the stuff up and use the steam to polish sanded acrylic. Works great but terrifying.

3 Likes

Yep … or dip their tail in the goo and then wrap it around your nose

1 Like

Sounds interesting? :joy:

And don’t forget the other risk of methylene chloride: heart attack. (I still remember opening a warm can in my first apartment. All the vapor in the headspace bid fair to knock me right over.)

2 Likes

Can you explain that a bit? These look fantastic! I’m not quite understanding what each piece looked like and how they snapped into place. Maybe I’m over-thinking. Are you saying that the colored section and the clear section are exact matches to each other and fit together like puzzle pieces? And it was so tight it actually stays together without gluing? Or… I dunno. I just LOVE this and I’d really like to try my hand at it when I get mine and I’m completely inspired by this!

1 Like