Beta project 8 1/2 (Wood Beads)

I was lucky to be in the first class that didn’t use the punch cards. :slight_smile: '83 or '84

1 Like

I am very glad I missed those – oldest thing I remember is 8" floppy. Though mom’s mentioned the fun times at the bank when she’d punch out a program, then drop the stack walking between cubicles…

1 Like

You rebel, you…lol :joy:

The closest Ive gotten was writing pascal for my moms neuroscience lab at the VA, and I had a class in COBOL that was required because the local health insurance company (blue cross blue shield) still ran on COBOL and needed people to write it for them, so they paid off the local school to make it part of the curriculum. My professor kept telling us how great COBOL was and that we could learn it and work there until retirement.

COBOL makes my eyes bleed and my brain hurt. I wont be surprised if they automate cobol development in the near future, it is so easy. I couldnt imagine spending the next 40+ years starting at a black and white screen with letters all in caps, writing such limited code. Scary

1 Like

Since Lazarus rose from the dead, Pascal remains my native language.

2 Likes

Had a friend who spent the hours required to fill a soda flat with them and dropped it in a stairwell…

1 Like

haha absolutely, its a massive problem to solve. And for clarification, im not expecting optimization, but just being able to tweak/edit it would be nice.

And if i get really needy I can probably drive that with different layers and specifying cut order.

Normally I would attribute random flareups to being primarily material variance. But since this is proofgrade and should have minimal variance… the next contenders are usually the airflow, and buildup on the honeycomb/support material.

As you watch the video, you see smoke blow from the right side of the screen across the cut to the left. All of that smoke is being drawn out from below the cut, then looping over the material. Not sure what the air assist is like, but it is possible for the cross-current to create a low pressure zone and draw some smoke right back up through the newly created hole, and for the smoke to contain some still combustible components. Also possible for a lack of airflow under the material to cause a buildup of combustible suspended material, which when finally ignited expels flame/gas through the new cut.

7 Likes

That’s wicked cool (from a Pro buyer)! I don’t get that from the 60W machine I use at the Makerspace. 400/40 is outstanding. The engineering is showing :smile:

7 Likes

BNF anyone?

But I preferred the railroad diagram method :blush: