Beta project: Bearded Gnome Mead - My First Raster Etch

Hello folks,

Here’s my first shot at uploading a raster to the GF. Below is the design. It’s a bottle label for my brother’s mead I designed to look like a woodcut print. The gnome has a “bee beard”. Hopefully that comes across.

And here’s the finished etch. Bearded Gnome Mead, Copyright Nathaniel Lambert.

Fun fun.

40 Likes

I should etch a negative and then I’d have an actual woodcut to make prints with.

11 Likes

Awesome, and I agree! That would be double awesome.

3 Likes

That is a lovely label.
I am almost done restoring my wife’s ancient letterpress, and as soon as it is running we will be printing some wood blocks on it!

9 Likes

I was thinking the same thing when I saw this! Looks great, that’s fantastic artwork!

2 Likes

This is ridiculously gorgeous. Wow!

3 Likes

Wow I had missed this post, very nice to see how well it did.

I’m trying to figure out how big it is…

4 Likes

Ooh, how ancient? Does it have rollers?

2 Likes

Oh man, I would love to have access to a letterpress. Making do with this instead.

3 Likes

It is a 1911 Chandler & Price 5x8, so yeah rollers. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Worked on an 11x14 C&P in college. Nice. (Also helped try to re-restore an 1887(?) Golding that someone previous had re-assembled with “a few parts left over”.)

1 Like

Nice job, especially right out of the gate. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Wow. That turned out great from the looks of it! Great design too! Very creative and playful. :slight_smile: nice work

1 Like

Absolutely beautiful! I’m inspired and delighted.

1 Like

This looks fantastic! Any chance that you could take some additional pictures at an angle to show the depth/detail of the relief?

Unfortunately, to let @ryanl and other beta users focus on testing their machines, we’ve asked them not to ‘do requests’ from the forum.

2 Likes