Beta project nine (Maple Dominoes)

Is that veneer on top of acrylic, or some secret Proofgrade material you are teasing us with?

5 Likes

Veneer on top of acrylic.

10 Likes

@Dan when one cuts a veneer on top of something else like acrylic, do lasers (not asking specifics about the the GF, just in general) does one have to change settings to keep cutting into the acrylic (say I wanted a through-hole) or not as the case is. I imagine power settings, etc are different for different layers?

2 Likes

@jkopel Thank you for all of your projects and most of all for the documentation!

Iā€™d like to request adding a recipe style header to the posts to help us gauge what goes into the projects. I think most, if not all, of the info is already disclosed. For example (just for example):

Project: Dominos & Case
Material: 1/4" Maple
Total Time: 2 hrs
Design Time: 1.5 hrs
Laser Time: .5 hrs
Software: Illustrator, makeabox.io
Other tools: Router, Drill Press

Purely a suggestion/request! Thanks again for your work and sharing it!

11 Likes

Games are the largest component of my desired projects with Glowforge. I hadnā€™t thought of custom dominoes, but now a custom Mexican Train set (one copy for us and one for my in-laws) is on my ā€œto-doā€ list for sure!

4 Likes

What was used to glue the veneer and acrylic together? Just spray adhesive or something more exotic?

5 Likes

Dominos is one of the first things my 9-year old son asked me to make. But he does not want to play a game of Dominos, he wants to set them up and knock them down, Domino Rally style. Basically, he wants squarish shapes that are all the same dimensions that he can play with. So I may make some with nice decorations on them rather than number dots.

6 Likes

Not sure what they used as the adhesive. The following thread has a great link to an adhesive chart.

6 Likes

I was thinking about squarish shapes with similar dimensions as well, and then this morning I saw this:

18 Likes

Nice find! Just sent this link to my wife for her 2/3 classroom. They have an entire room dedicated to ā€œboxes and junk,ā€ where the kids build from, well, pretty much everything you can find in recycling bins.

2 Likes

I really like that repulsive pin-ball action!

3 Likes

Ooh, you could also do that thing of using the GF to cut precisely-calibrated pieces of larger and larger size (thereā€™s a proportion you can search for, or just fake it) so that knocking over a pinky-sized tile at the beginning of the sequence can bring down a 12x20 piece at the end.

3 Likes

As a reminder, a condition of Josh getting a beta unit was that he not take suggestions or requests. :slight_smile: I know that sounds harsh, but I want him to be able to focus on doing this his way, and heā€™s such a tremendously nice guy that unless I forbade him, heā€™d do everything everyone here requested and more!

6 Likes

It depends on the materials and the desired effect. This could be accomplished by ā€œkiss cuttingā€ to engrave away the top layer, or by cutting the top layer separately and then gluing it on. I donā€™t recall which Shell did for this one.

I believe itā€™s just 3M Super 77 spray glue.

7 Likes

I like that suggestion. Iā€™m sure my son will love it too. Iā€™ll definitely have to try that.

1 Like

For the record, whenever @dan says something like this I am forced to laugh out loud. Not that I mind, but I doubt anyone would ever recognize me from his description.

11 Likes

this is perfection. I could watch it all day

That would look awesome on an under lit table or light box.

3 Likes

Super cool project! I love playing dominoes :wink:

1 Like

I was hoping to make a set of travel dominoes as my first project. Will you please share your file? These are perfect and the flight leaves 4/24.