Beta Project - Nintendo Switch Carrying Case

That was my first thought - small neo button magnets would work great. Just make sure the faces are aligned correctly before gluing (Barge cement should do fine). I’d put one on the inside of the strap and the other on the inside of the bag so they don’t directly touch because then the glue might not stand up to the separation force needed.

Or instead of a magnet on the inside of the bag, a small disk of steel glued on would keep more of the magnetic field away from the game unit as only a single magnet would be needed.

3 Likes

Wow! So impressed and I really mean about what you created in the design and engineering piece. Way more impressed with your know how than what the glowforge brought to the table

3 Likes

Amazing work !! I too first thought - nice bag - wonder what his copy will look like as I was scrolling ! Just amazing!. You may want to think snaps for closing the top as well. These are some from Tandy Leather:

10 Likes

WOW!!! Great job! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Amazing!

2 Likes

I love logging in to see all the new projects from the pre-release users! This is fantastic!

4 Likes

Phew! I didn’t have my glasses on and thought it said ‘Zelda Breaking Wind’!

5 Likes

I think this just went right to the top of my todo list :smile: Exceptional job!

4 Likes

We have eight neodymium magnets pressed against the back of an nVIDIA tablet in our new product. The switch is basically an nVIDIA tablet. We’ve had no issues.

The better design is to use one magnet, sewn into either the case or tab, and a metal plate in the opposite piece. If you can find a steel piece of hardware (like a snap) it would look very natural in a piece of leatherwork and do double duty as the metal plate.

5 Likes

So what we have here is someone with no real leather working experience, consumed by a new video game, who decided he could put down the game long enough to design, cut and assemble a case for it because he had a glowforge. Having been consumed by a couple of video games, but more often by a book, I know what that takes. That, and not his great looking case, does so much to affirm my decision to part with thousands of dollars on the first morning of a crowd funding campaign for a laser.

9 Likes

Wow, great job. That case looks amazing.

That said the fact of the Switch rubbing against the lasercut wood makes me twitch a little. A suggestion would be to cut and glue some felt to the parts of the wood that the Switch comes into contact with. Just to avoid any rubbing, especially on the screen.

2 Likes

Missed this while drooling over the photos. He’s got this covered.

3 Likes

Hah! Good to know I don’t have to worry about that poor Switch. =)

2 Likes

I’ll order a satchel from you if you will make sure there’s a switch in it :stuck_out_tongue:
This definitely moved up close to the top of my to-do list!

2 Likes

OMG - drool…temporarily speechless!

You my friend, is AMAZING!

I NEED my Glowforge… I’m carrying my Switch ALL WRONG in the dinky Surge Bag…

4 Likes

Happy Cake Day!

2 Likes

I think he thought about snaps but wasn’t sure where he could put them so that when pressure was applied to snap it wouldn’t push on the device

1 Like

This project is a great example of what I hope to accomplish. LEATHER CASES FOR ALL THE THINGS. Could you let us know more about the leatherwork? Specifically:

• What kind of leather thread you used (I assume it comes in various sizes)
  • What kind of tools you needed to do the stitching
  • Where you learned whatever knots etc. needed to bring it together. Got links?

I assume that placing all the holes was some inscrutable AutoCAD magic.

4 Likes

Holy Crap, that is sweet! nicely done!!!

1 Like

put both sides of the snap onto the strap and loop the strap back to itself? you would have to flip it over to preserve the “Z”

2 Likes