Beta project: Ouija board

My mom never let me play with a ouija when I was a child. She said that spirits could stay trapped inside the house, but now with a Glowforge… :smirk:

8 Likes

better build one of these first just to be on the safe side:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Ghostbusters-Proton-Pack-with-Arduino-and-LASERS/

11 Likes

There is actually a name for this piece, it’s called a “planchette”. I only know this because an artist friend has been making jewelry pieces based on these :wink:

12 Likes

“Don’t worry mom, if a ghost scares you, who you gonna call?” :ghost:

4 Likes

Stick some felt under the planchette to make it slide easier - this will also raise it up so the window doesn’t touch the board.
You can probably glue the felt to the wood before lasercutting.

2 Likes

Dang! someone beat me too it! I was planning on making some spirit boards myself! This one looks FANTASTIC! thanks for sharing. :smiley:

5 Likes

Wow! That is AWESOME!!

1 Like

If you just cut the planchette design again you’ll be able to glue it straight on there.

3 Likes

Made a spirit board for a friend of mine. A little different approach in that I left the masking on the board after scoring and engraving so that I could add a blast of gold paint to the letters and design. Then, peeled off the masking. Really like how this one turned out, and the gold felt like it went with the Egyptian theme.

3 Likes

Try this. You shouldn’t need to make the whole bottom slide, just strategic points. I use this on fences for my woodworking machines. You might be able to use a hole punch to get multiple dots for different areas.

https://smile.amazon.com/TapeCase-423-5-UHMW-Tape-Roll/dp/B00823JEOA/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3R82YN61RDBVX&dchild=1&keywords=uhmw+tape&qid=1620087503&sprefix=Umhw%2Caps%2C228&sr=8-3

2 Likes

Made a mini version in Acrylic!

5 Likes

On the Planchette I made little circles for feet. I’ll add felt later.

5 Likes

I make planchettes out of resin and I use 12mm Clear Glass Cabochons from Amazon for the “feet”… not sure how well they’d work with the open design of yours, but something to consider.

3 Likes

I second that — UHMW film like this is great stuff. You can also get it in thin solid sheets. But I don’t think it’s safe for laser cutting. (Just cut it some other way.)

You could also try beeswax or paraffin.

2 Likes