Beta project - seven (Acrylic Stacking Boxes with Living Hinge)

I have yet to cut a living hinge (or even intricate typography) out of solid wood. But the ply is wonderful. Sorry that I don’t have more insight or technical reasons. Just my experience.

1 Like

That is SO cool…finally, a way to easily make custom sized boxes for tons of odds and ends.

2 Likes

I saw this on a cnc and laser group on FB

Acrylic hinge

17 Likes

That is a serious piece of acrylic! Thickest I’ve ever worked with was 12mm. This looks more to >20mm! Expensive!

3 Likes

Great work @jkopel! I am also incredibly interested in living hinges, and can’t wait to test them out!

2 Likes

@jkopel that is some great work! FYI, I don’t know if you’ve tried Acrylite before, but it cuts as easily as acrylic does, AND it’s way more flexible. That might be a more forgiving material for your living hinges, but I personally don’t have experience in that area.

5 Likes

I was always under the impression that the adult pencil would be the shorter ones and the younger pencils are of average size of about7.5"

2 Likes

Adult pencils, when left alone in the wild, can grow to be over 14 feet in length

Artist: Jonna Pohjalainen

43 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

Awesome

1 Like

Now, THAT is funny! Can’t help but wonder now, what the pencil sharpener looks like…although it appears that these were sharpened using a giant pen knife.

4 Likes

It’s a big pencil that sharpens with a chainsaw!

4 Likes

There actually IS a machine…

9 Likes

that would come in really handy if you had a balista…

15 Likes

We really are getting pretty flaky… I like that.

2 Likes

Please tell me there’s a video of that thing firing!

3 Likes

Thanks to the BBC:

11 Likes

That is awesome! 67 feet! Hah! I try to find Punkin’ Chunkin’ every fall because I’m always fascinated by it!

1 Like

Peter Gabriel does heavy metal? Who knew? :smile:

2 Likes

I was going to say - I’m had lots of luck with birch for the living hinge. :wink:

I love watching you guys figuring out this stuff! It breathes life into those of us who have been at it a long time. <3

7 Likes

How have the Acrylic Stacking Boxes held up after 9 month?

2 Likes