Beta Project: Vinyl Record Frames

:grinning: Thanks @Rita.
Most of my collection are 12" singles for DJing in the past. I worked at a record shop in Huntington Beach for a number of years when I lived down there before moving to Seattle 8 years ago. Now I play CDs, or more often use usb sticks on the newer CDJs when possible, and sometimes a controller and my laptop. So much easier than lugging around a heavy record bag to gigs! And I do have a fairly decent collection of actual albums and double packs, etc. of many favorites and truly collectible releases and limited editions, special pressings, and more.

This design does work with some double vinyl albums with their extra thickness (depth), but on a few I’ve tried to put in, the width across isn’t enough as the actual album packaging varies on many of them. I wanted to have a series of frames that are all identical to have a pattern on a wall, but will definitely have to make some that are ‘custom’ fit for specific ones!

5 Likes

Definitely gonna do this, and actually make one for real! Thanks for the idea. I do want the joint to be more than a simple finger joint rectangle thing… to make it artistic with the design and concept. Even engrave some pin stripe lines or patterns maybe, but don’t want the frames to take away from the intent to showcase the release artwork itself. Hmmmm…

4 Likes

This is amazing. I love frames and have tried making them pre laser having, it is not easy at all! Awesome work, and very cool collection. (Daft Punk was my music all day yesterday, today is more of a Budos Band kinda day)

4 Likes

Thanks! Definitely have plans and ideas for other custom frames for sure :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pink Floyd gets my vote. Funny you should pick “Wish You Were Here”, chap on the right reminds me a little of your next President and the other guy, Sylvester Stallone maybe?

Edit: Good job!

Edit edit:

Source: Tumblr

8 Likes

Nice to see a real frame made on the glowforge. It is one of the projects on my list.

8 Likes

FSOL… yesss

2 Likes

I really like the way your joints look. Super job. :thumbsup:

4 Likes

Awesome! :slight_smile::squee:

6 Likes

Love the progression from…I need this, to trials and error, then to success!
Glad you held out and made it yourself. Much more satisfying…:grin:

7 Likes

This is fantastic!! My business partner is a bit of a Vinyl collector. I ought to make something like this for her! :smiley:

6 Likes

Excellent post! Love your finished product. I’ve been thinking about some different kinds of frames myself. This added some new sparks to that flame :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Very nice. I like the evolution. But just one design question that might depend on the wood you have available: is there a reason the joints have to be at the corners? Might be easier to align and clamp if the joints were elsewhere.

6 Likes

Thanks so much for the detailed write up on your experience. It will help so many of us who aren’t experienced in woodworking or lasers too. You are awesome and your frames turned out fabulous!!!

5 Likes

Thanks for the meticulous documentation. I especially appreciate the point about making some type of key to assist in the corner glue-up. Little things like that make a difference.

6 Likes

Nice job and tutorial. The nice thing about a frame like this is that you could embellish it. maybe laser a few musical notes (simple or elaborate) on the sides/ edges. If you went to c oncert of the band, scan and engrave the concert ticket. Names, dates, do a 45 of your wedding song frame with date engraved. lots of ideas for vinyls and wooden display frames !! :thinking:

5 Likes

Frames are certainly on my list of projects. (In my case, frames for my backlog of embroidery projects that have been finished but not yet framed.)

Beta projects like this really give me the feeling that I’ll be able to jump in and get going quickly, thanks to learning from beta testers’ mistakes. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Try a Danish Oil finish or Wipe-On Poly from Minwax. Both are more forgiving than traditional stain/poly finishing and easy wipe-on/wipe-off. You get really nice finishes with less effort than stain and poly with brushes or sprays.

9 Likes

Thanks… yeah. I have used Danish oil before, but I didn’t think it really darkened the wood much, but really brings out the grain and does turn out beautifully :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is exactly the starting point for me on this. Used the files he provided and did my own customizations, revisions and fixes to make it work on the GF! :grin:

3 Likes