Beta project: Wheat Sheaf candle sconce

In anticipation of Thanksgiving I decided to design a table centerpiece. I chose to use a wheat theme because I liked the way that the shape of a wheat sheaf would let me make a 3 dimensional object out of some fairly simple shapes. My goal for this project was to make something that could be assembled without glue and then stored flat when not in use.

It took some fiddling to get the design and scale right. My first attempt used 1/8" hardwoods with a leather lamp shade, and is sized for a small 1" dia. candle. This version is a little flimsy, with a tendency for the individual stalks of wheat to flop over - not a desirable quality in a candle sconce. I also wasn’t totally happy with the leather shade because I think it looks out of place on the wheat sheaf.

For my second attempt I decided that I would increase the size and use 1/4" plywood for the material. I scaled the project to the largest size that could be cut out of the plywood sheets GF has supplied me with. I ended up with a pretty imposing wheat sheaf that doesn’t leave much room for plates and glasses on the table. I also struggled with how to add some sort of shade or wrapping that would hide the acrylic supports but still look appropriate.

So for my third attempt I stuck with the 1/4" plywood, but scaled it down to a smaller size, one that can be displayed on a 12" wide wall shelf or mantle. For this version I decided to use the kind of large candle that doesn’t require a shade, and instead of the leather I just tied a simple ribbon around the middle of the sheaf. I also re-worked how it snaps together, and used 1/4" plywood for the center support pieces instead of acrylic. I can pick this one up with one hand and shake it without any of the pieces falling off, so it is a much safer candle sconce. :slight_smile:

63 Likes

Well done! Very creative and original idea, and I think your final iteration turned out really well. :slight_smile:

I know how it is to try a few versions until you are finally able to realize the true potential with a solid design and a finalized piece! Looks great with the candle in it elevated like that, and I really like the wheat sheaths concept overall.

7 Likes

@martinell.jan says “why can’t I think of anything this cool?”

They look awesome! Personally, I like the smaller one with the leather, too bad it wasn’t stable!

4 Likes

This is really fantastic. I like that the candle has the plate to sit on and up from the table

3 Likes

looks really nice. well done :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So lovely! And thank you for sharing your process of working on it; I like watching creativity evolve.

6 Likes

Gorgeous design!

2 Likes

Daaaaang! That’s delightful!

3 Likes

whoa - that is a beautiful centerpiece and unique idea ! What was/is your go to software in designing something like this? Again - fantastic job

4 Likes

It’s gorgeous, and (to me at least) very design catalog worthy!

6 Likes

Ditto @cynd11! That is just the kind of thing that needs to be in the catalog! Great job on it! :slight_smile::squee:

2 Likes

Great design. Now expand the concept to other holidays. Snowflake swirls for Christmas (in acrylic), bats & witches for Halloween. They can probably be dis-assembled for flat pack storage.

PS. The wheat sheaf would still be the most fitting and elegant variation of this design.

7 Likes

Wow! This design is quite elegant yet so simple in concept. Definite potential for variations on holiday themes. One of the top 10 designs posted yet!

5 Likes

I love that you’ve shared the behind the scenes along with the final item. Thank you for taking the time to do that!

5 Likes

This is GORGEOUS! I like them all, but love your progressive work towards one that ended up being the most beautiful, and safer as well. Thank you!

4 Likes

Hi PIGHEADED. I used AutoCAD LT for this project because it makes it easy to draw things to scale to a fine level of detail, and to edit sizes of parts with exactness. It took some trial and error to get the wheat stalks and the center supports snapping together the way I wanted, and I tried out several different configurations for the supports. Drawing all of that to scale in CAD is a lot easier than in a graphics program like Illustrator. I use CAD professionally, so I’m lucky to already know it. If you don’t use AutoCAD or another drafting program I highly recommend checking it out. It has a little bit of a learning curve to use the program, but it’s really worth it.

12 Likes

Lovely centerpiece @maryellen!
I know what you mean about the power of CAD. I took some classes on Autodesk Inventor, and was blown away by the capability.
Learning curve, but beyond that, there was nothing you couldn’t do, all the way up to nondestructive testing. Pinpoint the structural weakness in the design before a tool ever touches material. It was also my introduction to parametric design.
Well worth the investment in learning it!

4 Likes

You are one talented lady!

3 Likes

Utterly gorgeous!!

6 Likes

Not going to let my wife see this or she will try to commandeer the Glowforge before I get to do anything on it. Very nice work!

9 Likes