Beta Project - Wood Link Watchband

I’d be worried that a living hinge might tend to pinch. Anyone worn one?

I think you could attach a fabric backing to it to prevent the pinching problem.

3 Likes

Pretty sure you are now describing @dan’s watch. Living hinge wood with leather backing.

2 Likes

Seems tricky because acrylic is brittle, but my current watchband is a wood veneer living hinge backed with leather and it’s been almost a year going strong.

7 Likes

I saw it personally…it looks great!

5 Likes

Beautiful work - I love the texture of the band, it’s very appealing :slight_smile:

1 Like

it’s awesome! me personally, I’d put cap nuts on the end of those bolts. way to close to arteries.

6 Likes

One might use this to build chain driven devices made with the Glowforge.

4 Likes

Hey, did you ever made progress on the Fitbit band? I am planing one but don’t know how to connect it to my Fitbit Alta HR.

Haha that’s some thread necromancy. I am curious as well—also, believe it or not, I am still using this band and my arm hair is intact. :joy:

2 Likes

Super cool! Question, the bolts look long, do they scratch your arm at all?

*Just saw hansena’s response about the caps.

I like the idea of something like nylon lacing or even leather lacing over bolts.
If the holes of the outer links are deep engraves rather than holes, the thicker 1\8" bamboo skewers cut to length and fastened with CA glue would make it appear that there was nothing at all.

Using a tool designed to cut leather lacing used on a liter soda bottle makes very strong nearly invisible lacing as well.

No, they’ve never scratched me, they run parallel to my arm at all times

Not yet. My band is actually falling off so I thought I might just remove it completely. I was thinking of just making sort of a pocket with a window for the display and sliding it in.