Betas, Maker Faire, Production

Try an LS600h. The hybrid’s electric motor is inline in the transmission complex (it’s a CVT) so it’s a direct drive 100% torque available without waiting for the engine to spool up. By the time the electric motor runs out the V8 is in full force. As long as the pedal is pressed it goes faster. Until I wuss out :grin:

I love fast sedans. They look sedate and inconspicuous until you realize it’s a good thing you didn’t have it in your teens or you’d never have made it to your 20s :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

I hear that! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Used to be a dead horse here, but now just a wet spot on the ground.

6 Likes

France is stuffed :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Exactly.
I now have the car I wanted at 16, and it’s a good thing it was beyond my means!

3 Likes

You and @printolaser took @marmak3261’s words right out of my mouth! Convoluted, but true. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

The price increase announcement has me thinking again about the difference between Basic and Pro models. I know this is changing, based on your cooling optimizations, but at this point how much continuous run-time does the Basic have before it needs to pause, and how long are the pauses (or what’s the run:pause ratio at 100%/cutting power, standard indoor temp)? Does the Pro ever need to pause (I thought that was answered somewhere, but I can’t seem to find it)?

Thanks for all your replies, and for keeping us up to date on so much of Glowforge, both as product and business!

3 Likes

No, now it is leather and we can laser it! :smiley:

5 Likes

Oddly enough, it wasn’t actually Kool-Aid. The cyanide-laced drink was Flavor-Aid, but the quote quickly evolved to “drinking the Kool-Aid,” since it was the better-known product.

My mind is an endless repository for useless trivia. Now if I could remember where I put my keys… :confused:

12 Likes

I think if I’m going to be condemned to burn in Sam Hill over my “Drinking the Kool Aid” comment by the community and @dan , I think it fair that a little more of the reference/context from the Wikipedia (as no one else here is going to followup on it) be quoted where it goes on to describe how I personally use the idiom now and over the past 20 years or so. . . .

The widespread use of the phrase with its current meaning may have begun in the late 1990s. In some cases it began to take on a neutral or even positive light, implying simply great enthusiasm. In 1998, the dictionary website logophilia.com defined the phrase as “To become a firm believer in something; to accept an argument or philosophy whole-heartedly.”

And no, I’ve never had a, to quote another, “poke in the nose” over its use.

5 Likes

We don’t have final numbers for either yet, but you can run an hour long print at 70 degree temperatures on the Basic just fine.

I was keeping an eye on this thread during the day for questions (lots of opinions which I respect and will let stand alone) - if I missed any others, please point them out to me so I can answer.

9 Likes

Ha, funny. I had always heard this phrase used, but in reference to the Ken Kasey acid tests. There might have been a few times where it was used in the context of ‘those people are crazy to be doing that’ which I could have also interpreted as ‘they must be on drugs’ instead of the meaning you have mentioned.

4 Likes

Sigh! Perhaps we can write that off to one of those miscommunications then.

@Dan, if I may?

You need to quit apologizing now. Every single person who is still here, is here of their own accord, and we’re all adults. The day that any so called “deadline” passed, no matter what we thought the deadline was, whether we thought there were two delays, or one, or six, or sixty…

The moment that day passed without delivery and we did not cancel the order, the decision to remain became ours.

No one has to keep falling on the sword forever.

I have typed and deleted half a dozen posts for this thread, because some of them might have seriously hurt people, and I was angry at the game of “kick the puppy” that gets played out every time you post an update, whether it’s bad news or just a status update.

It’s obscene.

Enough people! We’re adults…let’s start acting like it.
(And yes, I’m still a bit testy…)

21 Likes

Truthfully I am sorry, and I think about it every day. Every production meeting, it’s, ‘how do we do right by the people who stand by us’.

Don’t worry though… we’re a happy bunch here and I’m more excited about delivering to you than I am sad about not doing it yet. :slight_smile:

22 Likes

Point well taken. And just to be clear, I was not among those who ‘condemned’ you for anything. Merely the messenger of definition.

8 Likes

Yours is a Herculean task, and I think even THAT is an understatement. I am happy to wait if it means receiving the best machine possible, a fact that I hope isn’t lost on those considering cancellation—Glowforge owners will be receiving the best machines possible, not just whatever was possible to meet a deadline. There’s a difference. Thanks for the update and continued success!

13 Likes

Well said.

3 Likes

No, sadly, …it wasn’t.

It’s just as bad for me to lose my temper and start lecturing as it is for others to do it. It doesn’t ever accomplish anything either, and it wastes your time, for which I also apologize. (Move over dan.)

I might need to take a break for a while. I think it’s time to do some more designing.

9 Likes

If you need to…I’ll take that " Poke in the Nose "…so you can get a little untestier !

3 Likes

same here

3 Likes