Betas, Maker Faire, Production

Chuckle! Thanks! I’ll cool down in a bit…no “nose poking” required. :wink:

4 Likes

This…100%.

3 Likes

@dan thanks for the update, and can’t wait to see it/you in person in NYC!

These small fixes are the hardest, as I well know, particularly when fixing bracing on a door is way less cool than figuring out how to do 3D curved focus tracking; but just as important to reliability.

3 Likes

Sorry if I’ve miss a specific answer to this, but as someone unlucky enough to order a few hours after the preorder window closed, I’m very curious! (Ruddy broken debit cards! Oh well, at least I got the preorder discount if not the preorder shipping date!)

I was sure I saw a reference a few months ago re:rolling shipping after the Dec. preorders were delivered, but Dan’s wording in this update has changed from “BY March” to “IN March”.

Dan, can you clarify? Are your preliminary production and shipping plans two bulk shipment windows? Or will it be more freeform than that?

2 Likes

As much as it pains us (because we know you want to know), we’re not going to be any more specific right now. Apologies!

6 Likes

@jacqui, first post and 10 likes. I like your stuff. Cool designs.

1 Like

More cute hedgehog stuff!!

8 Likes

Fair enough! Thanks for the clarification. Let’s see what happens. :slight_smile:
(pencils in March but crosses fingers)

5 Likes

Probably better to put March in ink and not cross fingers or hope for anything. Then if you do get an early ship you can do the happy dance.

I find when i cross my fingers & hope it seems like that becomes what I subconsciously expect and then I’m disappointed even if the committed date gets met.

5 Likes

I want mine now, now, now! But thanks for prioritizing the deadline behind the quality and safety. I’ll be patient knowing that this is important to you.

7 Likes

Hi There, first time to the forum. First off, REALLY excited to finally get one. I have been waiting anxiously for the past year and half.

From a creative/design approach: I have a question about user on-boarding. Will there be an easy to understand manual or app to walk us through how to setup, use and describe the materials that will be compatible with the GF? As a creative designer, I am curious how easy it will be to on-baord us “non-laser operators” after receiving the GF and for us to easily understand the materials that will or will not work on it, and what materials, if any, need special coatings or applications to them in order to work properly.

I envision a simple guidebook or app, but curious what you will have ready once ours are shipped?
-CW

5 Likes

Whatever they send, they’ve told us that it is possible to laser your first project in about 15 minutes from picking up the box from outside your front door.

They are sending some proofgrade materials with the GF, so you unbox the machine, place it in it’s home, plug it in. You can then “discover” the machine from your main computer, draw a small image on the proofgrade material, stick it in and run the trace function, and have a quick printed piece.

I’m hoping to already have a small B&W image printed on paper ready. I’ll stick it in, snap the picture, put in the proofgrade, and hit the big flashy button. (and to be completely truthful, probably let out a cough cough “manly” version of a squeeeeeee when it starts up ;-)).

I’m guessing there might be a single page startup guide sitting right on top as you open the box, but any manual that is made I believe will be electronic and accessible online.

11 Likes

Thank @julybighouse! lol I have to admit as well, I will most likely have a hard time keeping the audible scream to a minimum when it arrives.:grin:

I have been keeping a list of all my ideas and what I want to test out, so it will be hard to decide which one to try first. I am one who likes great communication pieces that are designed well. I abhor reading through confusing, lengthy on-boarding documents that can easily be communicated via straightforward copy and readable images. I assume the GF team has this figured out, but you never know…

9 Likes

Thanks for posting @constantina. Very good points you make. A good manual is in the works as far as I can tell. As @julybighouse has indicated, the ProofGrade materials will just work having codes on the masking material that makes setup easy.

I believe the forum will be an immense help for learning how to use a Glowforge. We have explored the ins and outs in great detail. And I hope there are some of those beta users making videos ready to go live with good demos.

6 Likes

Welcome, thanks for joining us!
If you are new to the forum there is a wealth of information here as @marmak3261 said. Lots of good reading here!

As far as lasers go, Glowforge should be very intuitive. From my position as a laser newb, learning the various CAD programs is a much steeper climb than operating the machine.
The ‘proofgrade’ materials are engineered for consistency, and the Glowforge will identify them and configure the machine automatically. Anything other than those will likely require a bit of adjustment of speed/power due to variation in manufacturer.

As we explore our new machines, you will find the members of the forum are a valuable resource for information. There are people here that have experience with most materials.

Beyond that, a young lady by the name of @Rita has been thrown under the bus to be the face of customer satisfaction for the company. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
So answers to any questions you may have will not be far off. :wink:

8 Likes

I’m excited for the Glowforge because after looking at other options I would have had to provide ventilation and in some cases cooling, which for me would have been an issue. This should allow me to make things within my home (with the added filter)…which was the selling point for me!

I can’t wait to see the catalog (I keep “collecting” things at Thingiverse for laser cutting for now) and when the store will provide the proofgrade materials to stock-up on some stuff…My secret fear is that what they will provide will be a small amount of materials with the device and then that additional materials will become unavailable due to the amount of folks who are purchasing these things…I don’t want to sit around staring at it for weeks waiting for materials to become available…And I realize that we can use materials from other sources, however I’m new to all of this so I’m not entirely sure what to buy… I know I’d like black acrylic, maybe some other colors too to make things with. Wood would be neat as well…

2 Likes

so @marmak3261 will we not be able to put in beloved objects to have it burn or etch them? Will only new or specialty materials work? I am hoping to burn through or etch some object/materials of sentiment.

You are not limited by anything, the idea behind ‘proofgrade’ materials is it removes the necessity of figuring out the optimal settings.
I would be careful with heirloom objects, and test as much as you need to to ensure you don’t damage them.

You do want to be careful not to cut/engrave anything with chlorine in it like PVC. Bad for you and the machine.

4 Likes

as long as your item is 1.5 inches or less you should be good (potentially up to 2 inches thick depending on who you talk to). I would be very careful putting something in to be engraved/cut without something in which to test settings on. But since I’ve never had the pleasure of using a laser before, I’m quite a bit more skittish when it comes to these things.

3 Likes

We’ll have detailed resources available online to make sure you know everything you need - but as @julybighouse mentioned, our goal is to have 15 minutes from power-up to first print!

13 Likes