Birch bark

Welcome.
I see that you have read 2 hours worth of forum posts, so you are off to a good start. I’m sure you read that testing is the only sure way to dial in settings for non Proofgrade material. I doubt that any of us in the forum have been able to harvest the quantity of birch bark that you have. Users have, however, engraved on leaves, veneer, tissue paper, and cardstock. Your material will not be a significant challenge, but it will absolutely be different and you will have to experiment.

You will not start a fire because you won’t leave your Glowforge unattended.

You will be wise, in my opinion, to go through the Glowforge tutorials and get a basic understanding of speed, power, lpi before jumping into a new material. You will also be wise to read through the tips and tricks section of the forum and this compilation of information put together by @evans Common problems/questions

17 Likes

Welcome to the forum and your new machine! You have lots of patience, I set my glowforge on a 10 year old 25 dollar ikea table and started it up right away.

It took me over 2 years to convince myself I needed a better table, and I only upgraded when the garage shelving I wanted was a great price.

Testing is the most sure way to dial in settings, and you’re going to find that each piece you have may take different settings.

I don’t know much about birch bark. I really didn’t know there was more than one layer to the peeling. Is it “wet” like I imagine or is it dried out? That will make a difference in how it behaves under the laser.

My go-to is testing a tiny portion with the nearest proofgrade settings. So for something that thin, I would try the thin maple veneer settings and adjust from there. Pick a tiny corner, put an image that has a score and engrave in it and try it out. I’m imagining a tiny wooden flip book of tests :rofl::rofl:

15 Likes

Welcome! I agree with everything above. I would ‘start’ with the veneer settings too and adjust from there!

10 Likes

Keep in mind that the focus height for the laser is critical. Using material that is wavy or warped will have a major effect.

9 Likes

We all agree. It’s the members who make this place what it is, and I can tell from the content and humor of your first post you will be a good fit. :sunglasses:
Welcome to the community!

As rpegg said, flat is going to be required because the focus is set at a specific height above the bed of the laser. If you could manage to dry the bark flat, that would be good. If it’s already dry you could moisten it again. That pile of natural material is a serious score!

11 Likes

Step right this way…

9 Likes

As I spent a while making flat wood round I can say that if the bark is fresh I would stack it between fuzzy towels and put an anvil on top (well something heavy and flat like a weight on 3/4" plywood so that the wood was held very flat and leave it that way for as long as you can stand it. 3 months would not be too long but sneaking out a sheet would be understandable.

If the bark is already dry and warped a spray down with water or alcohol allows the wood to bend flat again until it dries. The alcohol evaporates faster, but it needs to be totally gone before going into the Glowforge.

5 Likes

Welcome! I can’t wait to see what you make with all that birch bark! As others have suggested, veneer settings on a scrap would be a good start. I’ve made bookmarks out of oak veneer. I had better success using repositionable spray adhesive to hold the veneer to a piece of draftboard.

5 Likes

Welcome, wow this is exciting, I am excited to see some of your future creations made with your birch bark. I echo everyone else’s comments about testing.

3 Likes

Wow! Didn’t know there were three layers. I didnt know you could peel a birch tree like that. I can tell you will have a lot to teach us and I look forward to the inspirational lessons!

4 Likes

Congratulations on your GF! I learned a lot form your post, specifically that there are three layers of bark. Looking forward to what you do with all that bark you harvested. You might want to consider making a press somewhat along the lines of a bookbinding press to help flatten the sheets of bark. You could even use 3/4 plywood and woodworking clamps. I would add several layers of paper towels to absorb water ad the bark dries. Another thought is do do your veneering work first then engrave with the GF. That would help present the GF with the flattest surface as well as orientate your design on your work. Well, I guess you got my head spinning as well!

9 Likes

Welcome!
Glad to have your face in this place!

3 Likes

Hmmm for the rest of us who get inspired…
30 White Birch Bark Sheets. Birch Bark Decor.birch Sheets | Etsy?

4 Likes

Wow, it looks like you have some great material there. Flat is very important, but even if you can make it all perfectly flat, the birch bark is going to vary in thickness. Additionally, the bark varies, which is why it looks so awesome. But those variations may require different amounts of power to cut. So I really agree with CMadok here:

I would be surprised if you find a setting that works for each of the three layers - perfect every time. You may have to over-power some areas to cut others. And that could mean crispier edges in places. Please don’t let me discourage you, but don’t be surprised if the frustration meter goes outside the green zone sometimes. I mean, at least you have a bunch of beautiful birch bark.

7 Likes

i have attached my cut test file. I have started using this on almost everything and i have found that i can dial in exactly what i need. start with the test the way it is and then make a copy (so you don’t loose the file) and make it reflect your best results and then change each block by 2. i.e., if t50 looked good try setting them at 52, 54, 56 and so on. I know this is always using the fastest speed and modifying the power but for me time is money so fast is best.

Do NOT Use make a copy

3 Likes

Beautiful material! For engraving veneer, I’ve enjoyed the results more when I’ve laminated it to another piece of wood first. That reduces the extremes of light/ burned through spots.

What I really from a Glowforge with veneer is doing inlay. Cut out your desired shape from your thin material, do a deep engrave of the same shape (slightly smaller) in a solid wood, then glue together. It’s a good way to use up little bits as well.

4 Likes

Boo for cutting down the trees, but yay for the cool goodies you got out of it. Can’t wait to see what you make.

Welcome…

3 Likes

What beautiful bark you’ve harvested! I can’t wait to see what you do with it - hopefully all the tips and tricks listed above will help you be successful with the GF from the start.

2 Likes

Hi! Thank you so much!
:joy: If I’d had something big enough I may have done; but then I was having nightmares of the thing crashing to the floor LOL BUT my desk came a day early!! Yay!

So, the bark was wet when I peeled it a few weeks ago (had a weird rubbery/papery feel to it, it was awesome), but it’s plenty dry, now.
And of course, some of it is warped, and some is nice & flat.

I decided to apply it to several small wood boxes, to test on, and used 20lb printer paper setting (because I was terrified I’d light the darn thing on fire- I made my son hit the start button :rofl:), but also because this is more like thick paper than wood, and while maple & birch are hardwoods, this bark is definitely NOT.
(also…that was the only paper setting I could find? aside from cardboard. hm.)

And thank you, I am also now imagining a tiny wooden flip book of tests :joy: :joy: :joy:!

I think I have an alignment issue, tho…

5 Likes

aw, TYSM! You’re all so wonderful :slight_smile:

I knew it would need to be flat, so I laminated a few small wood boxes to play with. That said, my 1st 2 prints were way off center (the 2nd after realigning the camera)…and since I don’t want to “waste” any materials, I think what I’ll do is laminate one of the proofgrade sheets that came with the machine, and play around with settings on that.

I also love celesteprobichaux’s idea for repositionable spray adhesive, so I may go searching for some of that, too! That way if the engraving doesn’t come out well, I can use a new piece and not ruin a box I glued onto :wink:

2 Likes