Birch, Please!

OH! have I been waiting to use this title!
I found a local lumber yard that sells Baltic BIRCH* plywood 1/8" 5’ x 5’ for $15 a sheet
(No, they don’t deliver unless you wanna buy a LOT then its $50)
anyone in the Las Vegas Vicinity ? send me a private message I will give specifics!

Jonathan
*Freudian slip

3 Likes

Why not just post the name of the place?

3 Likes

I haven’t checked my lumber store in a month. But the price had gone up to 15 a sheet also (used to be 10.79), and there were only 4 sheets left in all of Orange County at the time, with a 2-3 month estimated restock time. So I drove and bought the last 4 sheets. So, if Vegas still has some and I’m in desperate need, I wouldn’t mind the road trip to pick up some cheap wood. :rofl: :rofl: I’ve still got about 2 sheets worth left though.

3 Likes

because I don’t want them to get hassled, all of a sudden with inquiries, I’m not looking for anything out of this, just trying to keep the BS to a minimum.

3 Likes

Have you checked out https://www.cherokeewood.com/ in Upland @CMadok? They have a lot of different laser friendly woods including birch ply, and they already make GF size sheets.

3 Likes

I have not! But I’ll check them out now! I’ve been with Ganahl since you let me know about them, the guys at the one in Anaheim know me at this point and I don’t even have to explain the cuts to them anymore.

Actually, I have no idea where Upland is. I’ve been trying to figure out a good storage system for my wood hoard, I probably shouldn’t buy more until I figure out where to put it.

2 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: eastern LA county just NE of Pomona. Glad you like Ganahl, love those guys.

Shh… it’s a secret. :shh:

I just checked out Cherokee wood…I think I’m going to have to take a trip to upland.

1 Like

OK so I have kind of the opposite idea here. Tell everyone, the more demand there is the better, because they’ll keep more in stock.

This is why I tell everyone about Kim Oberlin all the time, his hardwoods are priced even lower than places like Ocooch, and I really want him to stay in business :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I found during the pandemic, telling people about where I get things really bit me hard. Like for elastic, I always bought very thin, soft elastic from Daiso. Someone had mentioned that Joanns was completely out of elastic and my friend asked me where I get mine. I told her where, and she told everyone on Facebook. Within an hour, it was out of stock at every Daiso in the county. It was out for over a year. They only were able to recently stock it a couple of weeks ago, now that the state has reopened and masks aren’t in high demand.

I think the same thing happened with the BB I was buying at Ganahls. Fully stocked the entire pandemic, never had an issue, and now suddenly I’m calling every Ganahl and getting a 2-3 month wait time. I noticed a lot of new GF owners in the area too :rofl: :rofl: I think panic buying is the way of the land where I live.

1 Like

Coloration does not equal causation. There was a huge uptick in demand for elastic globally for some reason.

1 Like

Yes, for masks. :rofl: I already knew elastic was in high demand and that stores were out, but that store in particular was new to most people in the area and they weren’t as aware of the crafts section as I was (it’s the main reason I go).

I watched it spiral out of control on the local mask group on FB. My friend shared it in the group, someone responded that they were going to see, then shared a photo of themselves buying it all. :rofl: :sob: It was so quick. Every store after that was empty. And I think because stock was low globally, they just never restocked it.

Massive lumber shortages across the country stemming from pandemic and last year’s CA wildfires. :disappointed:

Yes, I understand :rofl: Though my husband and I make jokes all the time about sudden shifts, my major in college was international trade, so I’m constantly wondering about supply chain and trade law changes. I’m going to keep telling myself that it’s because GF got super popular, so 1/8-inch BB is in high demand on top of the other setbacks of last year’s craziness.

I am seeing this across the board, wood, Pool chlorine, certain food items, and lest not forget paper towels and toilet tissue!!!

2 Likes

so there you have it, My post has started a supply conversation…

I HAVE DONE MY JOB!

Jonathan

2 Likes

Don’t you know that customers are a hassle? Full inventories and a quiet phone are so much more peaceful.

Now I’m off to hassle Kim Oberlin to see what hardwoods are in stock!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.