Bird Seed Log Feeder Base

Hello all! :wave: I made my first useful item today. I saw a YouTube video about making your own bird seed log and was inspired to make one. I thought I could improve upon the design a bit by making a base to support the weight of the seed and give the birds little perches to stand on. I was super excited to see that the log attracted the attention of a mocking bird shortly after we hung it out outside! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
First Post, too!

Doug Fraser - Making Seed Logs for Backyard Birds

41 Likes

Welcome. Great first practical cut.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

The birdies are gonna love you for it! :bird: :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Welcome! Very nice. Is that bird seed all the way through?

3 Likes

This is great!!

3 Likes

Thanks!
Yes, it’s a solid log of seeds and dried fruit, weighing about 5 pounds. It’s held together with about 3 packets of Knox unflavored gelatin.

3 Likes

Nice job! Looks like that Mockingbird has already laid claim to it.

2 Likes

Great idea!

2 Likes

That is great idea! That might be a good seller, too. NIce work!

3 Likes

Great solution

2 Likes

Seeds and dried fruit.
Since birds do not do tidy, just curious about what is going to grow under where that hangs?

1 Like

So true…they do make messes! I’m not sure what viable seeds might be in the log, but whatever decides to sprout underneath it would likely be an improvement over what is there now. The yard is full of assorted weeds, clover, and dandelion. We’re kind of the mindset of “hey, at least it’s green!” :shamrock: :four_leaf_clover: :shamrock: :herb: :laughing:

4 Likes

Welcome and great idea. Where are you in Tennessee?

I am in Knoxville.

1 Like

Thanks and howdy, neighbor! I’m in Knoxville as well!

2 Likes