Bird's eye view of us Bellinghamsters

I used the software from Cartocuts and downloaded this map of my local area, Bellingham, WA. This particular version is only 5"x7.5", so much of the fine detail is lost. I wanted to try this out on draftboard first to see if I’d have the patience for a scaled-up version. (This one took 30 minutes…that’s a lot of Solitaire on the iPad.)

Anyway, I like the small version enough that I’ll make time for a larger engrave. And yes, we really do call ourselves “Bellinghamsters.”

40 Likes

Turned out great! I like the edging on the map!

4 Likes

Thank you! I didn’t realize the map file would generate that wiggly line when I used the offset tool. Turned out to be a nice effect.

1 Like

Beautiful contribution from a fellow Bellinghamster!

4 Likes

Wow, even the prototype is worth displaying. Nice work! Please share when you finish the final product.

2 Likes

Haha, Bellinghamsters, love it! And the map of course.

1 Like

I misread the title as “bird’s eye view of us being hamsters” and expected to see you rolling around in giant balls. I’ve gotta admit I’m a little disappointed, even though the map IS nice and all…

8 Likes

I want a cool name like Bellinghamsters.
Coloradans annoys me! lol
Coloradonuts? LOL omg

4 Likes

I have an old Navy buddy who lives (lived?) there.

Be happy with Coloradan…you could be a Hoosier.

2 Likes

I’ve got a friend who has a Bellinghamster t-shirt. Made & sold by a local establishment.

2 Likes

So much better than what folk from Tampa are called
:roll_eyes:

1 Like

:flushed:

1 Like

Hmmm, I don’t dare guess. What are they called?

Nice work! I suggest we all use the location suffix ‘wegian’.

1 Like

I just finished an updated version of the map. I used an unprimed wood panel as the base; 9" x 12". Since it was 7/8" thick, I took out the crumb tray for this one.

Here are both versions, with a banana for scale.

the next one I do, I’ll wax first, to see if the fume marks come off better.

7 Likes

These turned out beautifully!

1 Like

It just keeps getting better! This was a dress rehearsal for the “real map”, which will be a gift to a friend. Even though I had cleaned the surface with 91% alcohol, it had a muddy look to it; probably fumes that had nestled into the pores & fibers of the wood. So, I sanded it, vigorously.

I started with 180grit, always going with the grain. Then I wiped & cleaned w/alcohol. Next was 220 grit, followed by cleaning. Then I wiped all over with a rag impregnated with beeswax and mineral oil.

I’m amazed at the level of detail captured here. It didn’t so much lighten up, as become clear and legible.

I can still scale this up without losing detail. Some fine elements, like the “5” in the interstate symbol, would be easily readable.

7 Likes

Yep, Hoosiers live right below the Michiganders. Then there’s that state to the east of Indiana that we just don’t talk about.

1 Like

I don’t know if i want to know the answer to that question :rofl:

I’m just using my imagination, think about the suffix used for Colorado.
Now apply that to Tampa. :rofl::rofl:
I don’t really wanna know based on what I imagine it is.

2 Likes