Birthday Greeting from Mom

My daughter-in-law comes up with a lot of little projects for me. She found a birthday card from her Grandmother, to her Mom. There was a lot of coloration in the background of the card … but, in the end … I salvaged the text of the card, and her written message. Took out the bit she didn’t want. Moved the back of the card print over to join the reset. 4.25 x 8.5 tile from Lowes. Sharpie markers for the blue and black. Used Proofgrade Cherry Plywood for the frame, and Draftboard for the back.

(Where the letters fade (like on the “D” of Dear … that is where her pen wasn’t flowing). My daughter-in-law was thrilled.

41 Likes

Oh, the colors are excellent! I’ll bet she was thrilled! :grinning:

5 Likes

This is such a lovely gift. My cousins have a note their dad wrote the morning before he died and I want to do something similar with it.

7 Likes

Wonderful execution of a request and a lovely sentiment.

3 Likes

That’s such a great idea.

1 Like

An everlasting gift.

1 Like

Wow, what a wonderful reproduction of a special card! Just amazing work.

2 Likes

SO wonderful! GREAT job! The coloring is really such a wonderful touch! I’m amazed you were able to color in handwriting so precisely! I see NO bleeding!

Last year, inspired by a project @marmak3261 made, I wanted to take a recipe in my Mom’s handwriting and engrave it onto a cutting board. (She passed away ~10 years ago.) Unfortunately it turns out many of the recipes have been lost to time and the ones that remained were on thin paper that bled through the writing on the opposite side or were stained or otherwise unusable.

2 Likes

Happy Cakeday @Tom_A!

3 Likes

Oh, my! Is it that time of year already? Thanks! :slight_smile:

My Wife just reminded me that it’s also my “heart-attack-aversary.” 8 years ago this past Wednesday I was THIIIS close to death.

10 Likes

Gosh! We are so lucky to have you with us!

4 Likes

I have a few recipes of my Mom’s that would be nice for the siblings. Like you … They were well-used and difficult to extract from paper.

Happy cake day! So glad you survived your heart attack.

3 Likes

Happy Cakeday @Tom_A! You have been a stalwart on the forum.

I haven’t been able to catch up with all the posts, just new topics, but we had the third anniversary of the Glowforge launch and it passed without my even noticing it. We should be getting a few three-year cakedays in the weeks to come.

3 Likes

Been such a fun ride so far! I wonder if there’ll come a time when I don’t love using this machine every single time.

5 Likes

That’s a really wonderful idea. My mom is in the decline of Alzheimer’s and her beautiful writing is no more. My daughter was crushed when birthday cards lost her little artful characters. I’ll look for some to engrave as you did to give to my daughter. Now, if only I could find anything…in this place .

5 Likes

Ugh! Glad you beat that.

4 Likes