Bisque Tile Experiments

I found a stack of bisque (unglazed / unfinished) tiles in my mom’s attic, and have been experimenting with them between other projects. Unlike with glazed tiles, the laser darkens them, although so far I haven’t gotten a real DARK dark result. I think the heat of the laser must be enough to “fire” the parts it hits, because it doesn’t seem like running a second pass ever changes anything.

Here’s my best one so far–I hit it with a couple of coats of spray lacquer to see what would happen. It didn’t change the engrave at all, but it gave the tile itself kind of a yellowed “antique” look:

This was the first one I did; not as aggressive with the settings, so it didn’t come out as dark, and like I said, doing another pass didn’t change it:

The laser does actually vaporize some of the surface. (I haven’t tried vary power on it yet, that’s on my list!)

On this one I tried painting it black and doing a reverse engrave. I used a primer plus paint spray, but I think the unglazed surface soaked up too much color for it to really “pop.”

35 Likes

So cool! The ship one looks like ivory scrimshaw.

6 Likes

Thanks for these experiments. I bet the attic may hold countless treasures such as these tiles.

4 Likes

No lobster? :smiley:

6 Likes

What a find! That’s laser gold you’ve got there. I hope it was a sizeable stack.

3 Likes

I haven’t counted…the stack is about 6". They shouldn’t be that hard to source; people still do ceramics, don’t they?

1 Like

Exactly. They’re not uncommon in all shapes and sizes. Artists use them as a canvas for their own ceramic creations.

2 Likes

I know you are in the thick of going through things from your parents, but I’m glad you’re taking the time to enjoy part of it!

3 Likes

That ship is awesome! Wow

1 Like

what settings did you use?

1 Like