Black garlic anyone?

Hey doing some black garlic for the first time and was wondering if anyone else out there has done this in the past?

What I have done is get my old cooler and added a cooling rack with a clip light. The lamp is a 60watt and using the dual relay temp controller that was formerly mounted in my grow tent where I grow hot peppers.

My plan is to run it for 4-6 weeks at 70°c, I will adjust the kick on temp to something like 69.5°c so there is less of a saw tooth on the measured value. I also added a jar of water sealed on the top just as a thermal mass to help even out or dampen changes in temperature. I Was also thinking that it might be useful to have it fluctuate? Maybe get a different flavor profile if you let it drop down to say 40°c and then stay on till it hits 70°c for the duration of its life all tho it will probably add quite a bit of time needed to turn them black.

There are some experiments in the different bags as well. there are

1. 12 bulbs that are just the garlic.
  2. 3 bulbs + 1tbs of caraway seeds.
  3. 2 bulbs + 2 lemon leaves.
  4. 2 bulbs + 3 dehydrated ghost peppers.

If any of these work out i will laser cut a frame so i can have 2 or 3 layers of cooling racks to fit more garlic. I also have other ideas like having garlic and honey, garlic and saffron, garlic and cardamon and cinnamon and a few others involving my hot peppers but need to know if they would be “safe” like outside the zones to allow for the growth of botulism by adjusting PH and salinity and other factors so it can’t survive.

I’m not sure how to store this once it is done, not sure if I need to put it in the fridge. All I know for now is my room smells amazing hope I don’t grow tired of the light garlic smell. maybe i should put some baking soda in the bottom of the cooler to remove some of those smells or double bag the bulbs.

9 Likes

I’ve never done this but it looks awesome

3 Likes

I do have a few things on our countertop fermenting right now though… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

awesome, what do you have on the go there?

1 Like

Pickles, honey and water, blueberries and sugar, cherries, grapes, raspberries, pretty much anything that looked like it was about to go south got shoved into a jar with some sugar.

6 Likes

You are a brave soul!!

I just buy mine from Costco :grimacing: the package says they don’t need to be refrigerated, so I stash them in a cabinet. (The husks are very dry, the garlic inside chewy like a prune)

4 Likes

Never heard of this! Durn it, you’ve opened a black hole…

4 Likes

Geez, off I go down the rabbit hole. I never heard of black garlic.
I have made pickled garlic in the past but apparently that is not the same.

2 Likes

I’ve always thought of it as a different kind of pickle?

I love garlic…

1 Like

Recently watched a video making me intrigued to make some. I’ve added a few new recipes to my repertoire over the last couple of months, and black garlic seemed like it would be fun to make. If only I had started making it a couple of months ago :sob:

Can’t wait to see the results, especially with this method. I don’t have a fancy dehydrator, so a cooler with a heat lamp would be right up my alley.

2 Likes

More of a sugar preserve as the garlic breaks down in the heat it turns to sugar and that preserves it as well as changes the flavor.

3 Likes

Must… resist… rabbit… hole…

1 Like

Black garlic black shallots, black sunchokes, black apples! I make a lot of things “black” I use a lot in my cooking (I am a chef by trade) but also use them to make other products that are explosions of umami flavor! Black garlic/shallot/apple vinegars, black apple candies, fermented chili paste with the black garlic, the list continues to grow! Are you familiar with Koji? Unrelated, but I built Koji trays for my fermentation chamber cut out on the GF!

I store blackened things in cryovac bags(which is what I blacken them in) until I open them, if not using it all then, I refrigerate.

4 Likes

My first job in life was in the kitchen as well :slight_smile: all tho i would not call myself a chef, but i did fill in for my chef all the time as he was always trying to find the hidden prize at the bottom of the bottle of whiskey. Black onions are something i thought might be possible but black apple is new ground for me. would love to know the process if you were willing to share. I believe i have heard of Koji but have not fallen down that rabbit hole yet. Excited to try more blackend versions of things like different mixes of spices and black garlic. What i really want to try tho is to find a way to make it safe but to use my hot peppers in with black garlic (might need to add salt) and put the bag through the same black garlic process to have the peppers hang out with the peppers as the garlic turns black imo should add some interesting flavors.

1 Like

Ahh I think most in the business have had a chef like that :wink: I actually do my black garlic etc. at a lower temperature. I blacken at 135* (57*C) this is the minimum temperature to be out of the temperature danger zone, with the idea being the slower the better, the more flavor development you’ll get. Think of it like a braise, you set your temp too high, it cooks fast, but it’s going to be dry, and flavorless. You cook it low and slow, you get deeper flavor development from the slow extraction of sugars and glutamates(along with the fork tenderness you expect from a good braise of course!).

My favorite resource for all things blackened, Koji, and general fermentation is The Noma Guide to Fermentation.

As far as your peppers go, I’d think with the temperature they’d be fine, as technically it’s in cooking range even at 135*F as opposed to fermentation. Give it a shot! I bet the peppers will blacken too. Although like with black apples they might be extremely fragile and/or puree surrounding the garlic!

1 Like

Just over a week later all looks well smells are amazing and not over powering as the cooler holds most of them in.

1 Like

Smells from vacuum sealed bags?

1 Like

yup the bags are slightly permeable and the smells that makeup garlic seem to be able to get out of the sealed bags over time. same thing happens when i sous vide cook something with garlic for a long time, the water will start to smell like garlic and other things that are able to come out.

1 Like

And then it was black :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.