Board Game - Pai Sho Board and Tiles

I know nothing of the game but the board and tiles are beautiful.

Stunning!

You beet me too it, and you did an EXCELLENT job! :smiley: Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

If you ever have any questions about anything Pai Sho, let me know. I’m practically the physical embodiment of all that is Pai Sho by now, having started work on all this Pai Sho work over two years ago.

Fantastic… I will probably be asking you questions when I get my glowforge… which wont be till the air filters are available.

I’ll be happy to help!

Until then, if you’re interested you should join me in some games to try out the different variations at The Garden Gate, and also try out Paiko which is inspired by Pai Sho.

I’m already up and running selling these tiles, so if you really can’t wait… :wink:

1 Like

Whoa, padauk is awesome.

15 Likes

Beautiful work! I love all the details. The board is great and the pieces on top of it are stunning.

1 Like

Had to share this picture of a game today.

13 Likes

Beautiful. Do you have the dovetails in the design for assembly/disassembly for use or did you use for permanent jointing?

Yeah, like those colors!

Intended to be able to take it apart easily. Still might have to tweak that part as this particular board I just shared a picture of is a bit too tight.

1 Like

Are you making your boards on 3/16" or 1/8"? I have started working out thoughts for a Crokinole board, but I’ve wondered since it will be about a 26" diameter playing area perhaps I should layer pieces with cross grain layers to reduce risk of warping. At the 18" size board you make do you find your single layer ply is good enough?

I’m going with 1/8". I wasn’t very happy with the :proofgrade: thick plywood, it seemed less sturdy than the medium and warps just as much. With a good print, there’s only a little bit of warp between the pieces. Though if you make the joints tight, it will reduce that and they’ll sort of warp together.

1 Like

An update on this… I think I have to switch to the thick :proofgrade: for my Pai Sho boards. Recent batches of the medium plywood have been consistently warped so that boards didn’t turn out well at all. Hopefully the thick plywood has less expected warp.

Finally got around to making a full set for myself. The tiles are purpleheart and zebrawood.

6 Likes

Are you using any kind of finish on the tiles?

Just shellac before lasering. Hopefully that’s a good way to go.

2 Likes

It’s an all natural product, I think it’s cool. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah, from digging around here it looked like that’s what I needed for a pre-laser finish. Not sure if anything post-laser is needed as far as exotic wood care.