Bokeh Kit for dSLR Camera

The things you can do with these machines… I mean… come on! Great work!

3 Likes

You continue to blow me away with your unique projects! Just amazing!

3 Likes

Cool!

But I was confused–how do those parts affect lens focal length? At least that’s my understanding of “bokeh” (get one area of image sharp focus, rest is out of focus). But whatever it’s called, that is a great technique, and your lighting/special effects are awesome!

4 Likes

Your photos will be so fun! These are great!

2 Likes

This might be the coolest project I’ve seen on the GF. I’m mildly biased being a photog.
Regardless, kudos for kool stuff!

3 Likes

Oh man this is cool… and now I want to dust off the photography equipment again.

They dont affect the focal length. At larger aperture openings (smaller f-stop number) focus range shrinks, so backgrounds will blur out regardless of a filter being present. The farther away the background is from the subject, the blurrier it gets. So the aperture has to be opened up in order to get the bokeh in the first place.

If you had enough light to light the subject (or enough ISO compensation) you could also close down the aperture and make all the shaped light sources razor sharp.

6 Likes

There is a very long article on bokeh on the B&H blog site, but if you want a quick understanding of how it works (not how to create it), drop down 637 pages to “Aperture and Shape”…

2 Likes

Lomography (Lomography Art Lens) makes an art lens that is a reproduction of the 1840s Petzval lens but designed to work with modern cameras. These lens have a slot to insert this aperture set style. With a glowforge you can create your own set. You can find inspiration looking up Petzval Aperture Plates Online for instance.

2 Likes