Book (box) of Shadows

Hi Everyone! I’m normally not a fan of spiders but this piece turned out so amazing, I’d like to keep it! But I made it as a gift for someone, so I’ll probably be making another one of a different theme at a later date. I had seen some inspiration on Pinterest of furniture made with spider web motifs, so I tried my hand at designing my own curio/altar space, and the spider theme took hold until we had The Spider Witch’s Book of Shadows.

I also got some snaps of the curio and the lantern hook before gluing them in, since their profiles were going to turn out to be hard to see.

I used the GF to engrave/cut the curio/alter, lantern hook, picture frames, Quija finder thingy (whatever it’s called), bracket/rafter accents, and broken mirror from medium draftboard and medium clear acrylic. Also laser cut the letters and spiderweb for the cover. The box itself is 1/16" chipboard, hinges are just super glued on so I might add some spider-shaped bolt heads or something just to hide the empty holes. All the ‘stuff’ is the typical blend of whatever I can find that’ll work to make whatever I’m trying to make (cardstock, hot glue, wire, buttons, the goblet is an inside out silicone ear bud, the eyeballs in the jar are individually hand painted balls of styrofoam, etc.) 5 1/4" x 6 1/2" x 2 3/8" closed.

Thank you stopping and taking a look, and until next creation, Happy Forging!

68 Likes

A “planchette”.

Also I am always amazed at the pace with which you create these things. You are impressively prolific. Are these all commissions/for sale/gifts, or are you amassing a huge array of mini displays?

13 Likes

Yes.

13 Likes

Thank you for showing the individual pieces. I never get tired of looking at your work.

13 Likes

Absolutely wonderful - LOVE seeing what you create. When our son was little, he always loved “tiny special things” and we’d have to hunt for all things miniature. This is so cool!

5 Likes

Uh oh… this is my new favorite thing!!! (Hubby often hates hearing those words :flushed:)

7 Likes

Wow, this is really something. The details of the interior are amazing, but I also love the lettering on the front and how it gives the impression of embossed leather. I don’t see any discoloration on the edges of the chipboard at all; does it just cut that clean, or did you touch up the edges somehow? (And damn you, now I want to buy a bunch of chipboard to play with. :laughing:)

8 Likes

Another really good one! (Of course they all are…)
Love the little spider paintings on the wall.

7 Likes

Feels like I’m stepping into a whole new world each time I come across your work! Everything you do is so amazing and tells such a detailed story…without the need for any narration or storytelling! :smiley:

Would you mind sharing what type of adhesive or glue you use for all of these tiny pieces? Any time I’m gluing tiny pieces, I end up with huge globs of adhesive or glue seeping out the edges, and if I go very sparingly, nothing seems to stay.

8 Likes

This is just amazing. I LOVE that lantern. Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

The chip board does burn and it leaves soot on the edges, so hello black fingers! I’ve heard dumping the pieces in to a bucket of salt and shaking it around cleans them, but I haven’t tried it yet. I glued the letters and web down on to the cover first and then painted, so the painted ended up sealing the edges. Could paint the letters a different color first before gluing them down, but chip board does like to warp a little when it gets soaked with wet paint, so be careful with that.

5 Likes

I use pretty much 1 of 4 things.

Tombow Aqua Mono Liquid Glue dries strong but hard and crusty, also shiny when it dries. I find it good for joints/seams and for most of what I end up sticking stuff to stuff with.

I also use Tombow Multi mono liquid glue, it’s still a little tacky when it’s dry sometimes, but I use this mainly when I need a paper glued together but still be bendable, or when trying to get metal pieces to stick (bottle cap clocks glued to the wall, for instance).

For super delicate parts that have just a tiny touch point, one small drop of Loctite super glue seems to be best, also good for metal, works well for the hinges. And then there’s the Hot Glue, which I both use from the gun on parchment for sculpting and just holding a stick of glue and a lighter and melting tiny bits to scoop off with the tip of a toothpick or whatever.

5 Likes

THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this! I’ve had a heck of a time trying different brands of glue and techniques to get the glue out of a tube or gun and onto a tiny, delicate piece of wood without mutilating the piece because it’s now stuck to my fingertip, the tube of glue or the toothpick and the piece I’m actually trying to stick the glue to! LOL!

Clark Griswold

5 Likes

:exploding_head: That is amazing! I wish I could quit my job and try to make something like that (I would need at least 40/hr a week to work on it).

6 Likes

Your giftee is so lucky. Outstanding as always.

3 Likes

Very cool! I love miniatures and have just started delving into creating miniature items with the Glowforge. Great job!

3 Likes

Man, that looks great!

2 Likes

I often tell my wife “I can make that” when she says she likes some woodworking project. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

Outrageous project - off the charts!!!

3 Likes

I’m the one doing both of those things! He just knows it’s gonna cost money and probably mean he’ll have to have takeout for a few meals :grin:

4 Likes