Bookbinding materials

cough sandblasting cough

5 Likes

Donā€™t get me started on my idea of creating acrylic type moulds entirely by cuttingā€”maybe partly re-creating Gutenbergā€™s Big Idea. (A type mould was his big idea!)

2 Likes

There is a plastic called PEEK (Polyether ether ketone) which is still solid at very high temperatures. Depending upon the exact variety it should be still useful within the casting temperature range for type metal with a fair margin of error.

It can also be engraved in a CO2 laser!

5 Likes

Final page of book printed: the cover! (Which will be wrapped around book board.) The tint in the background is from a large piece of Proofgrade walnut 1/8th plywood attached, as with chapter numbers, to a piece of MDF, then raised to type high. The texture is so so wonderful.

22 Likes

Just turned out beautifully! :grinning:

2 Likes

You look quite pleasedā€¦ and deservedly so!

1 Like

Looks great! I also like your art behind you. ā€œClean hands make clean printsā€ā€“I can identify.

3 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

Art in the shop; I wish it were mine! Iā€™ve done all my printing as designer in residence at Seattleā€™s School of Visual Concepts. Wonderful place, wonderful people. (And literally across the street from Amazonā€™s expansion.)

2 Likes