As part of another gift project, I was trying to emulate parquet wood flooring. Here is where I landed on the 2"x2" squares. I’ll be posting the project in its entirety in the next day or two…
I got a Vecteezy account and found some good wood grain patterns that I applied to my illustrator source file. Took a lot of experiments, but got to a good place. Found out that scrubbing the plywood with rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush after engraving took a lot of the excess char off and let the subtlety in color tones come through.
My only problem now is that I did all the other squares with a different setting because I didn’t scrub this sample off last night. if I have time, I’ll be re-do ing the other 11 squares…but not until after I finish the other gifts I need to do.
Finished composition (still need to glue it together):
Final - All glued together