Boston Celtics gift (w/mini parquet floor)

As part of another gift project, I was trying to emulate parquet wood flooring. Here is where I landed on the 2"x2" squares. I’ll be posting the project in its entirety in the next day or two…

I got a Vecteezy account and found some good wood grain patterns that I applied to my illustrator source file. Took a lot of experiments, but got to a good place. Found out that scrubbing the plywood with rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush after engraving took a lot of the excess char off and let the subtlety in color tones come through.

My only problem now is that I did all the other squares with a different setting because I didn’t scrub this sample off last night. if I have time, I’ll be re-do ing the other 11 squares…but not until after I finish the other gifts I need to do.

Finished composition (still need to glue it together):

Final - All glued together

35 Likes

That’s neato!

5 Likes

That is really cool. I can’t wait to see the finished product.

3 Likes

That will be a nice gift! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’ve added new pics of the final composition. combo of Proofgrade Thick Maple Plywood, Draft Board, Trotec dual layer Evergreen/white 1/8" acrylic. Measures approximately 8"x14". Still needs to be glued.

Established year and championships are slightly raised above the parquay floor. Team logo is elevated a bit higher than the established year & championships (extra disc of draftboard).

Each parquay tile was individually engraved and cut from proofgrade thick maple plywood. “Boston” and “Red Auerbach” signature were engraved on the parquay after the wood texture was engraved.

The font I had to re-create. It is all based on “Celtics” in the logo. so all the other numbers and wording were derived from that one word. I can tell you - just that exercise reminded me why I don’t design fonts lol…but I didn’t want to use a different font or try to find a very similar one.

2 Likes

This is amazing. Any basketball fan would love this. Nice job.

2 Likes

Amazing project! I love those little parquet tiles.

2 Likes

Final product is great! So clean, so nicely composed.

3 Likes

The sign is simply beautiful!! It is something to be treasured.

2 Likes

What an incredible piece of art!

2 Likes

Excellent job. I’m trying to think where this might look good. Hmmm maybe I can think of one…

:sunglasses:

1 Like