Box shaped like a Cat

Looks good :). This is pretty difficult to get together. I glued one side and one piece first (the long bit) and then worked from there. I used the second side to stabilize it so it was the right shape, then glued on the top two pieces. I would recommend against using super glue for this build, you will need some time to adjust here and there and ca glue will make things too difficult.

To make the tail and engrave on both sides. I flipped the design, then used a chipboard template to cut out the shape, put the tail in (reversed) and engraved. For the tail, don’t use the default engrave settings or the wood will be way too thin, cut it back quite a bit (I forget exactly what I cut it at here, but it was a lot less) mostly you just need to burn off the paint.

Used the program in this instructable to make the main part of the box, then a lot of editing to get all the pieces to fit together.

cat box.ai (1.2 MB)

cat box - long piece cat box - main 1 cat box - main 2

Enjoy!
David.

43 Likes

So cool. Thanks!

1 Like

Very cute!

1 Like

Now your kids can tell everyone at school that you keep your candies in the cat box?

Cool Idea!

5 Likes

Oh, THAT kind of cat box! :wink:

Very cute!

5 Likes

Ohhhh! A box, shaped like a cat…I was scared for a second what I was gonna see.

2 Likes

Ok, changed the title of this post!

4 Likes

That’s amazing! Who doesn’t need a box in the shape of a cat? Thank you!

3 Likes

Sorry, I did not mean to insult. I like having names that can have many meanings, most of my threads are named like that. I really like the original and if I had made something as great as your cat-shaped box I would call it Cat Box and if possible have a photo of a box with a cat in a box shaped like a cat as well. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Really nice! Thank you for sharing

2 Likes

Oh! No, I wasn’t suggesting that either - it was funny :slight_smile: I also love the box!

3 Likes

So cute!!! Thank you!

2 Likes

So what is the secret to getting the Elliptical Box generator to work in Inkscape? I have been trying to get it working for days now - with NO LUCK. It shows in my extensions but will not work. I just keep getting error messages every time I try to use it.
I have never been able to get any added extensions to work.

Not really sure. Just worked for me :). Did you try and reinstall inkscape

Several times. I’ve even gone down to 92.5 version. It’s just NOT WORKING!!!
I haven’t been able to get The Living Hinge or the Tabbed Box Maker to work either.
At this point I’m considering boxing this Glowforge up and sending it back. If I can’t use it to create the products I purchased it for then this $6000.00 machine is useless to me.
Doesn’t ANYONE know how to get it to work?

Did you install the Inkscape helper? (I had to.)

Instructions here with a link to the Instructables tutorial at the bottom.

1 Like

Ok, so I am about to unzip. It defaults to this location (see photo). Where should I unzip it to?

You have to read that Github entry pretty carefully…it does tell you where to put it, but it’s different for different operating systems. (I think…I did it over 4 years ago, so the memory is a little sketchy.)

But first you just unzip it to your desktop where you can find the file.

GitHub says to install it to:
C:\Program Files\Inkscape\share\extensions
I cannot tell you how many times I have done that. Over and over again - ALL DAY LONG. But still doesn’t work.
So what am I missing?