Brand new Glowforge not cutting through "Gift of Good Measure"

Tray “wobbling” is bad. That’s surely the issue. Check for debris in the depressions that (sort of) lock the tray in place. If not, then your tray is warped and needs some “adjustment”—with a hammer—just kidding! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Also, make sure that the surface the GF is sitting on is completely flat. If it sits on a non-flat surface, that can torque the case a fraction and could lead to the tray wobble.

3 Likes

OK guys, I think I may have found the culprit. I’m assuming this isn’t normal for the crumb tray? I was wondering why the right side was higher than the left… I think this is my problem.

The honeycomb seems to be a good .5mm higher in this spot. Guessing I should ask for a replacement? I’m afraid to take a hammer to it, especially having just purchased it.

8 Likes

I was able to print one honeycomb pin, and I really do like the design. Since I was still running into some issues with getting my bed to lay flat, I went ahead and did a quick design (based off the original SVG file) that can be 3d printed (STL file) in case someone else stumbles across this issue and has a 3d printer. I tested the fit and it seems to work, so I’ll use these until I can cut some proper wood ones. STL file is attached. honeycombpin3mm.stl (21.3 KB)

Oops, yeah, that doesn’t look good!

@techyg; Judging from this post…

The honeycomb comes out of the crumb tray. Maybe you can disassemble it and figure out what the issue is—and fix it? :sunglasses:

1 Like

Nice find! It looks like the honeycomb is all in once piece, from the pics even after you take it out of the tray. I am not sure if taking it apart will help my issue, as I think it’s going to take a lot of force to push the honeycomb it into place. My first thought would be a piece of plywood and a rubber mallet to see if I could hammer it into place. Which I would definitely want to take it out of the tray to do that… the question is, would I be able to get it back in after I’m done?? :slight_smile:

I sent a support ticket for now, so I’ll see what they suggest and if they are willing to send me a replacement as that would be ideal. In the mean time, I should be able to work with materials that are all but the last 3 inches or so in that spot.

1 Like

Don’t self-fix. That’s a warranty thing, I think.
If it isn’t, then Glowforge isn’t the company I think it is.

2 Likes

I’d say you’ve already done that.

I don’t imagine they’ll want it back, but don’t take a hammer to it just in case. And don’t use it as-is. At least not in that spot. If the rest is flat, I’d say feel free.

Otherwise, I’d consider using something else as a riser. (Scrap wood is usually my go-to for that.) You’ll need to measure out whatever you use and possibly recalculate distance from the head. If you need help with that, just say the word.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I did submit a request to have it replaced, hopefully I will hear back soon. I can probably use 3/4 of the tray for the time being, but I can’t use much of the PG materials since they all use the full tray.

Making a riser doesn’t sound like a bad idea. I have a 3d printer and I was thinking about designing an L shaped bracket that I could use, combined with some scrap wood, to get it exactly the same height as the crumb tray.

1 Like

Unless it’s really exactly the same height, be sure to measure… with a calipers. Every micron counts.

1 Like

Somewhere on this forum are some 3D printed risers for various heights, including crumbtray height.

2 Likes

Yes, thanks- I think I just found it. I’ll give them a shot.

2 Likes

@techyg…what model machine do you have? Basic, Plus or Pro?

It is the “Plus” model. It was the only one I could order (the other two were sold out).

Okay, that means you likely have power settings similar to the ones the Pro’s use.

(I’m just data gathering right now …thanks for the input.) :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Just got back from work and thought I would check the crumb tray on a level surface. It looks like only 3 of the feet on the crumb tray are touching, which is what is causing the wobble. I’d guesstimate it’s uneven by a good 1mm, possibly 1.5mm. You can see the gap in the bottom right picture. I know in 3d printing, even being off by .5mm can cause major issues, and I’m guessing it’s no different with laser cutting.

So it looks like I have some pretty significant issues with my crumb tray. Any idea how long support typically takes to respond? I sent a ticket yesterday evening but haven’t had any response yet. I am wondering if I should do anything at all with my Glowforge until this issue is fixed…

1 Like

If you mentioned the tray in your email, don’t send another one. Multiple tickets just slow things down.

Instead, send a reply to the automated response that they sent you, telling them that you tracked down the problem to the tray…and include pictures.

It’s the quickest way to get resolution or a response.

Thanks, that’s what I did- responded to the same ticket and updated the info along with the attachment.

I measured the height with a caliper, and interestingly enough, when the foot is off the ground, it’s surprisingly level, within .2mm (and it could be better- some of it may be human error in measuring, since it does wobble). I decided to conduct another job (this time 45 minutes!) on the baltic birch. Also using my 3d printed honeycomb pins which seem to be holding it down perfectly.