Bread Scoring Lame

Although here are some really beautiful bread scoring lames on the market, I needed one now and realized it would be easy to make. It’s made from two 42mm circles of PG walnut plywood with one piece engraved on the top. I would love to find a different solution other than a shiny chrome screw and nut, but it works for now. The blade is a standard Derby Extra 3.

32 Likes

Cool! Pretty tool, and a pretty loaf!

1 Like

Thanks! Here’s the finished bake

20 Likes

Nice practical cut, and pretty bread.

1 Like

Looks tasty!

At first I thought you were saying that you used the GF to Score the bread, and that it turned out lame… but now I understand you were talking about the tool.

(That does not look lame, BTW!)

7 Likes

I love words. I remember meeting many of them. My French and Latin teach in high school was amazing. He taught six hours of class a day and each was a different level of French or Latin. I learned the word “lame” because of the joke he told. When someone tells a groaner at a bar, the old guys would take out their penknife and and flip it into the wood of the table:

Lame-en-table=lamentable!

Cool use of the Glowforge for the slicer. I’ve been thinking about making a cigar cutter guillotine with utility knife blades. Just ideas and not sketched out yet.

6 Likes

That’s funny!

1 Like

I am so outclassed in my bread making. That loaf is a work of art! Very creative solution. I’ve not had a lot of luck scoring my loaves using ordinary one-sided razor blades, so I suppose the ones you use for bread are ultra thin and special or something. Another supply I’ve gotta get!

1 Like

beautiful loaf!

1 Like

:joy:

Thank you!

Bread making is a new thing for me and quite the rabbit hole!

1 Like

Not the kind of bread scoring I expected!

6 Likes

Same here! My wife has been making sourdough since just before Covid, and my mom used to have a bread maker a long time ago. I joined in with the quarantine, as I wanted some traditional Cuban bread (actually from Tampa) and got curious about how it’s made. I found an article from someone who had left here and worked out the recipe during her visits back and it worked out perfectly. It’s definitely a rabbit hole.

If you feel like going down another rabbit hole (or if there are any other Tampeños about) here’s the recipe: http://www.kitchenwarfare.com/kitchen-warfares-cuban-bread-tampa-style/
It helps if you’ve eaten the bread before to know what you’re looking for because it’s pretty unique, but if you match up to her photos, you’ll be set. The only thing we had to figure out was that you roll it completely closed like a cinnamon roll (but lengthwise). We tried to make it so that final seam was where you put the palmetto leaf/string but the time it was perfect, we just rolled it back together and put the string on the top. Also, it helps if your kitchen is warm and somewhat humid.

2 Likes

Hi Alicia!

I love this! Does the blade retract? Or do you have to unscrew it to move the blade back in. I’d like to make one for my husband since he’s at the “Making my own sourdough” stage of quarantine. :slight_smile:

maybe a small chicago-screw?

and if you have the same kind of risk-aversion as I do, at least as far as reaching into drawers that have Sharps in them, maybe possibly another matching piece, in a quarter-moon shape, with an embedded magnet, as a blade-cover…?

that beautiful loaf of bread is making me hungry!

1 Like

This looks like the Wire Monkey design.

@alicialong Did you find a better solution for the chrome screw and, I assume, nut? Also, I assume they are flat on the back sides?