Bread Slicing Machine

but only on 1/2 inch bread and then it would char a lot anyway.

bread sticks…

2 Likes

Cleaver

3 Likes

It’s like a bread miter box!!

3 Likes

I was looking for soap log cutters when I found this.\

2 Likes

That does not sound as tasty as fresh-cut homemade bread…

3 Likes

Perhaps as soap for bathing very young children that they would not cry if they got soap in their mouth.

This is great.

I also see this being used for other foods. Blocks of cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes, any vegetable that has length, sushi roll slices, pepperoni stick, homemade candy can but cut the same size, sausage circles for pasta sauce, a roll of compound butter cut into discs and cookie dough slices.

2 Likes

I make my own (I have weird skin sensitivities to perfumes but not essential oils). A 2lb batch makes a log about 2ft long and after it dries a bit it gets cut into slices to form the bar. I use a plastic miter box & a pastry scraper to cut the slices.

Other people use bread knives & alignment jigs like the bread slicer.

2 Likes

Or you could make a really deep engrave and make a Soap press. :grin:

2 Likes

My word I love you for this!!! I was raised on weird al and don’t remember this at all!!! Tysm for this!!!

2 Likes

Do you make a glycerin soap or do you use the lye method? I used to make homemade soap using the lye method. The end result was very luxurious soaps. My favorite was mint and rosemary.

2 Likes

Lye.

Glycerin soaps don’t have the right larger or luxurious feeling of real soap. You can blend your oils for the characteristics you want. It’s easy to adjust for your local water conditions (we have hard water).

I use olive, coconut, jojoba and shea oils mostly. For my personal bars I also use tallow. Essential oils for fragrance. I let them dry for at least a month before I use them. A hard dry bar lasts a long time.

I only do it two or three times a year because I’ll make 3 or 4 2lb batches at a time. Sliced up it gives me soap for the year.

I split the batches into different varieties using different essential oil blends for different results. My wife loves the different lavender blends. I like lemon sage.

5 Likes

The name came about because my husband tried to use Deloaf as a word in our scrabble game. His definition was “what one does to a loaf of bread to make slices”. :grinning:

8 Likes

I recently saw the end of this show where weird Al comes out, this was a new one for me!

I grew up on weird Al also, the best!

1 Like

I do the same!

And re-purposed a toothbrush box with magnet and vinyl for the project (cricut not laser)

2 Likes

Thanks for posting the video. It was one of two over the years where I lost the signal due to a thunderstorm. Was out of town for a week and forgot to go back to watch it on the web.

But I didn’t miss a day on the forum.

2 Likes

This looks great! I have tried and used a lot of slicing guides over the years, many of them clunky and just plain ugly. This is now on my to-do list. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

So I know this was posted a couple years ago, but I am so glad I found it while searching for something else! We haven’t bought bread in over a year, as I always make it, usually once or twice a week. And although I’ve gotten pretty good at slicing evenly, this will definitely make things much easier! Guess what my next cut is going to be?!! :slight_smile:

So I finally got this project made! I absolutely love it! I did have to do a slight modification only because the board I used is an old, favorite cutting board of mine that I didn’t want to alter, and it was slightly thinner wood than the bread cutting gauge, so the bottom of the cuts didn’t reach the board. I didn’t worry about the length and left it as it was. We used it last night to slice our bread for turkey sandwiches, and it was perfect! I am forever grateful for all the fabulous designers on this forum who are willing to share their designs. To me there’s nothing better than being able to make useful and fun things for ourselves, families, and friends.

Here’s a pic of mine, with my hubby who brought it in to me after attaching the new sides. Yay!

3 Likes

(slapping my forehead) why didn’t I think of that?

2 Likes