Building a Vivarium

My latest project, which has nothing to do with laser cutting, has nevertheless made me insanely happy.

One of my brothers showed up a couple of months ago with a chameleon that needed a new home, and researching her care needs got me interested in vivariums. Then this old display case turned up on Marketplace for next to nothing, and my fate was sealed. :blush: I have a couple of leak issues to fix before I can run the waterfall, but it’s taking shape!

The “rocks” are all petrified wood found on our property. I built it to look like the side of one of our gullies after a hard rain, with newly-exposed rocks, dead branches, and roots clinging to the wall, except that the vivarium has peat and (local) mosses instead of sand and red clay.

I had so much fun tromping through the woods with my grandkids hunting for cool mosses, lichens, rocks, and sticks, and then putting it all together, that I’m already wanting to build another one—which is kind of a problem, since we only have like 900 square feet of living space. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A few more viewing angles:

33 Likes

Wow! That looks great and seems to be a lot of fun for you. Lucky chameleon!

9 Likes

Awesome!

9 Likes

I must say that the chameleon has been a wonderful catalyst for creativity and making memories with your grand kids. The vivarium is a great pet project.

10 Likes

That turned out awesome!

8 Likes

^^^
THIS!

9 Likes

Did you get the chameleon or just create the vivarium after all? lol

I love this. I think I just want the vivarium. Maybe make a giant one for the bottom half of our picture window so my dog stops barking at people outside, have light filtered in and have this peaceful view. lol If only! :smiley:

12 Likes

Nice. Now we need a pic of the lucky :lizard:

9 Likes

Here’s a video of Summer the chameleon helping me reduce our fly population last fall:

17 Likes

That’s cool. I was not familiar with vivariums.

9 Likes

That is going to be so fun to watch the chameleon run around in!

8 Likes

It’s just a terrarium with an animal in it. :blush: There are also paludariums, which are vivariums with a standing water feature for aquatic residents.

13 Likes

You always go all in on projects! This is very cool.

10 Likes

Nice work, Summer!

Edit: Obviously, nice work, @geek2nurse on the vivarium. I was commenting on the fly catching! :grinning:

8 Likes

Oh, it looks great! I don’t see Summer in there, but I guess that’s the point with a chameleon, eh? Or maybe you’re waiting for the waterfall.

10 Likes

Great project! Such fun! Grandma of the year!!

9 Likes

That looks fantastic, can’t wait to see the waterfall.

8 Likes

Peraps build in a fly trap that the exit ends in the vivarium?

7 Likes

It’s finished!!!

Here’s Summer getting a drink from the waterfall.

I can’t leave the waterfall on because eventually the substrate gets wet enough to drip somewhere outside the bounds of the drip tray underneath (my final solution to a long string of leak issues). I might fix that eventually, but for now it “rains” for a few minutes several times a day (drip system), and that should keep things moist enough.

22 Likes

I just realized I never posted a “before” photo. This is what I started with. :blush:

19 Likes