Bunny sign success

Ok after struggling with the manual focus not working, we got the sign made. This sign is for a friend’s farm where they just got a new Flemish giant rabbit (Latin Sp: giantus assed bunnius). Anyway this bunny needed a sign for the hutch. They liked the trail signs I made on the horse trails so they liked the red oak look. The settings would best be described as blast it! Which gave me an almost 1/4” deep engrave. This was a 675dpi engrave. Then spray urethane coated. I love how the grain gets enhanced by the urethane.

Penny for scale

(that is a 10" ring BTW for scale). He is about 2’ long! for you metric types around 60cm…

27 Likes

That looks great! At 675lpi how long of an engrave is that?

2 Likes

exactly!

1 Like

First rule of engrave length, you don’t talk about engrave length… But yeah, that was insane around 5.5 hours of a giant smoky plume out in the backyard. Red Oak is particularly nasty stuff as far as everything gets this oily scum on it (which is why you really have to use masking paper) and sand afterwards because it’s baked on burnt oil.

8 Likes

I really like the font too!

1 Like

HAHAHA…It really came out great. I think my longest engrave was 2.5" and I just wanted it to be over. LOL

2 Likes

That was by request of the bunny’s owner:

2 Likes

Thanks!

Latin Sp: giantus assed bunnius :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

3 Likes

BTW: folks wondering where I got the wood, just Home Depot in the sort of fancy wood section. I think these are for furniture or stairs or something, as they are pre-sanded and look really nice (and knot free). They come in 7.5 and 3" widths and are pretty cheap. You can get them up to a foot wide if I recall possibly.

4 Likes

For those unfamiliar with this type of domesticated bunny, they are enormous (about the size of a medium sized dog), very friendly and their natural predator in the wild is United Airlines ground crew…

7 Likes

I had one of those for dinner the other night.

He ate about 14 kilos of carrots!

3 Likes

Ha Ha Ha!!!

1 Like

According to my calculations, you now have one giant laser cleaning job in front of you. The results are great but I avoid it because I don’t like cleaning my laser all the time.

3 Likes

Compared to cleaning up the milling machine, cleaning the laser is pretty easy. I mean the chips on the mill are all stabby sharp, and because everything is covered in coolant sticky too. And since I care about the environment I recycle the chips so I can’t just sweep them away. I now know the attraction of the big mills that have chip augers that put all your chips in a bucket for you. The more fun part is you have to clean chips during a job since you need to prevent the coolant drain from getting covered by a mound of chips. So while the thing is whirling around cutting metal you are inside the case scooping up a handful of chips. I will note that I normally pause motion (weirdly there is a pause motion button but the spindle is still turning - what I often do is use the RPM override and drag it down to 0%, which pauses the spindle effectively) and most importantly pause coolant or you get a coolant shower (icky). Very funny the difference of user expectations that with a milling machine, you are expected to not be an idiot, while the laser pauses if you do anything (and we have a fan guard on an internal ducted fan, which makes zero sense.) You can get door sensors for the mill but my god that would irritate me… I delete optioned that feature. Especially for filming you need to be able to get on in there…

4 Likes

A beautiful turnout, and a very cute rabbit!

I have found only MDF was worse and not by a lot. Dissolve it in Novec and let it evaporate and you have plastic (that killed Puff)

Well, it is called Feed Hold :smiley:

WOW that’s a long engrave, but, it DOES look awesome

Mind you that[the rabbit not my daughter, she is an adult!] is still a baby at that size (still has a year of growing apparently)

7 Likes