Burn marks when engraving

Does anyone have a recommended masking tape they use to cover their wood that doesn’t leave burns. I tried using 3M masking tape but it leaves burns around the letters that I engrave. I have attached a photo and you can see that around soon it looks burnt. Please help
IMG_0976

Looking it would seem that the masking was not smoothed down enough and the smoke got under that tape. If you rub it down with a cloth soaked with hand sanitizer it should clean right up.

6 Likes

Ok, I will try that tomorrow. Thank you so much for responding.

For wiping off that smoke stain, alcohol wors good, household ammonia works better.

If you are doing a production run (depending on the design), pulling the mask first and wiping with a solvent to remove the stain is preferable to weeding time-wise.

3 Likes

Here you go:

1 Like

I can’t really add more than others have already said about masking, but I do want to say I love that design :slight_smile: Hope you can get it cleaned up as you like.

1 Like

Also when using transfer tape masking make sure you squeegee it down with a credit card or printers brayer. The adhesive is pressure activated. Otherwise it may not stick well when lasering and fly up at the cut edges.

6 Likes

Hey Y’all Thanks for all the tips. Going to test it out tonight :slight_smile:

2 Likes