Business card case

For carrying them around so you don’t bend them. I used the smaller piece of walnut that came with the glowforge. To my surprise, it was solid, not ply. Which worked out awesome because I decided to sand the edges smooth. Then I rubbed Teak oil on the edge. Its 4 layers. The front and back are exactly the same. The 2 layers in between are U shaped.

I got a little carried away on one corner… lol. But I used a small drum sander, not a belt sander. Should have used the belt sander. Oh well… it’s for me.

57 Likes

For nice looking edges you can’t beat the solid hardwoods. It came out great!

5 Likes

That’s nice. I agree that the solid hardwood made a nice clean edge. I couldn’t tell at a glance that it was layered up.

5 Likes

Very nice!
all the ideas in here! So much creativity… so much cool stuff to try - me want! (more time in the day to play with my forge!!)

4 Likes

Really classy! Like the card being burned into the case.

2 Likes

Your case is RAD!

2 Likes

Thanks (love that movie).

Have you tried putting “rad” in a Facebook reply?

1 Like

As a woodworker myself, can I just compliment you on your edges? it really is not easy to make the layers “disappear” as you just did. *slow clap *

8 Likes

Thanks! That means a lot.

On my big glue up CNC signs I use clamps and about 500 pounds of steel lol

This one is 36" long and made of 4 pieces of 2x6 cedar

cba97ec1902972f5ccc324670555b79dcad3a12e_1_281x500

This one is about 25" tall and made up of 4 pieces of 2x6 cedar

20 Likes

Nice!

Reminds me of an phone case I got years ago that was laser etched (2 pcs that slide together, since you can’t flex the case to fit like other materials :wink: ). But also no longer have that phone…

And at one time (with this old phone) I did order a case from the company that makes my business cards to have my phone look like a giant business card–so maybe your next project–wood phone case “business card”!

4 Likes

Love your case! Your sides are awesome!

Your signs are really stunning, as well!

1 Like

Thanks! Love the saying!

I use loctite professional superglue. Bonds in 10 seconds. Then just buzz the edges with a belt sander (which I should have used instead of a drum sander). I gave myself 0.03" extra in the width inside. If you give yourself enough thickness on the rim, you shouldn’t have a problem.

3 Likes

Great work. If my wife see this I will be busy.

2 Likes

I love your cardholders, also I picked on your business cards , look great. What material did you use for making these cards?

1 Like

They are “Business cards - premium kraft” from vistaprint. I think it was 500 for $24 .