Business Cards (Redesign)

Each card takes about 25 min if you include both sides.

I’m using 1/16th-inch maple plywood that I bought from a local wood shop. It’s about 3x as thick as a normal business card, but it has the strength to not break if you keep the grain vertical.

I got a lot of feedback and incorporated it into this new version. I’m concerned that the front of the card is a bit bland compared to the back. Any suggestions or does it look good as is?

2 Likes

I think if you matched the engraved border/edge like you have on the fancy side it would be just enough to pull it together but not be too busy / distract. Might make a good test case for a very defocused score? I know that engrave would add a lot of time.

2 Likes

Refocused Score? I haven’t heard of that before. The front side of the cards is taking about 10 min per, the back side about 22 minutes.

1 Like

Autocorrect on phone. Defocused!

I haven’t tried that either! How would I set that up?

A defocused score will create a wider line like an engrave but at scoring speeds.

To do it you want the laser focused well above the material. You do that by changing the focus depth on the score operations only to be larger than the material thickness. I usually start at .4" but you can run a series of tests to see what you get with various focal heights, speed and power.

Because it’s focused higher than the material by the time the beam hits the material surface it’s spread out some - you’re in the expanding cone zone of the beam.

1 Like

I will try that on the next batch. Thanks for the info