Business Logo on a Slab Panel

I put together a gift for a local business owner who has for the past several years donated acrylic, Foamcore, and Coroplast cast-offs to our local library’s MakerSpace (where I coach patrons learning to use a Glowforge). The panel was donated by a local cabinet shop that also donates castoffs (usually a variety of hardwoods and plywoods). The challenge for this project was working around the large panel size (~54" by 10" by 1" thick) given the GUI’s working area. Cardboard templates to the rescue (cardboard is our friend)! I started with the business owner’s logo in SketchUp (for the 3D perspective) then in Illustrator scaled it to fit the panel (keeping the original proportions). I created four cardboard templates that divided the logo cleanly (without cutting apart any of the artwork) and when taped together would fit in the panel (taped so it wouldn’t move) to provide foolproof alignment for attaching the artwork. I used SVGNest.com to shuffle the logo lettering to make efficient use of the black, ⅛" acrylic letters. The “W” didn’t require SVGNest – manually adjusting the artwork in the GUI got the job done. Then it was a “dot” or two of Loctite Super Glue Ultragel Control on the back of each piece of acrylic before dropping them into the template pressing for 30 seconds. I hope the pics better explain how I went about this – a picture is purportedly worth a thousand words, so here’s 5,000 words worth of info…

72 Likes

Well done!

7 Likes

Excellent! Beautifully done.

5 Likes

Great project!

5 Likes

Well done

4 Likes

I’m sure the company really enjoyed getting that gift. You did an excellent job!

6 Likes

very nice job!

2 Likes

That turned out awesome. Great job!!

2 Likes

That looks great! And a great write up/explanation. Thanks

4 Likes

This looks great! Nice use of cardboard template. Thanks for the photos and explanation.

3 Likes

Sweet!

2 Likes

Sweet replacement for them giving away stuff they cannot use instead of tossing it.
I am sure they were pleased. Looks like something to be expected right behind the receptionist or cashiers head.

4 Likes

Beautifil Sign. Well Done!

2 Likes

Really really nice! Good to see LARGE things being created.

2 Likes

That looks great! I love it when large projects come together so beautifully!

2 Likes

Beautiful work

1 Like

Epic project! Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Very nice job!

1 Like

Beautiful work, you should be so proud!

1 Like

That is one classy looking sign. Good for you. It looks great!

Michael

1 Like