Butter Lid

Love it! Looks so nice…and the bread too!

1 Like

Cute!! Love stuff like this!

1 Like

Mmm - my husband just bought another bread machine so homemade (more or less!) bread is my main intake,too.

4 Likes

I have had 3 different bread machines…have never gotten one to work properly for me, so I gave them to friends. I don’t know if they had any better luck than me, but never heard how they did with them, so I don’t know if they kept them or not!

2 Likes

I consider bread machines one of those clutter-the-kitchen appliances (like air fryers and instapots :joy_cat:) so I just use my good ole’ oven, a cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat, and a shallow pan filled with a cup or so of water to get that beginning steam oomph. Maybe one day I’ll try a banneton or a dutch oven, but if it ain’t broke… :wink:

2 Likes

Now I’m curious, what’s a proofing bowl? As kids we made just in a large Corning bowl with a linen towel over the top and got to punch the heck out of it a few times before Mom popped into the oven. Great memories!

1 Like

A proofing bowl, also called a banneton, is usually made of rattan, with ridges in it. If you put your kneaded dough in it to let it rise, all you do is turn it over onto a cookie sheet and the ridges will be indented into the dough, making a nice design that stays there when baked. Or, if you don’t want the ridges, you can usually buy them with a cloth made specifically for the bowl and put the cover on before you put the dough into it. I only used the cloth once, as I like the ridges. It is best to spray it with water just enough to dampen it, and then lightly dust it with rice flour (other flours make it glumpy) before you put in your dough. Most bannetons are round, but you can also buy them in loaf shape. Once it’s proofed in the banneton, you don’t punch it down again. And you remove the banneton before baking - never bake bread in the banneton, as it will catch fire.

3 Likes

Wow! I’m going to look that up then, sounds so unique, thank you for sharing!:star_struck:

1 Like