Buyers beware - you will wait for days between customer service emails

I’ve been having multiple problems with my machine, and now it’s down completely. I think we’ve pinpointed the issue as needing the print head replaced, but I can’t get the service rep to commit to sending me a new one. He emails, I email back, and then I wait a whole day for him to email again with another question instead of a solution. Meanwhile we are losing thousands of dollars over the holiday season. If they sell a Pro version, advertised as appropriate for business use, they should offer better service to those who buy a Pro unit.

I know customer service is expensive - perhaps offer a paid add-on service for those who need real, timely service via telephone. (Hint - that will be everyone at some point, so even if someone doesn’t pay for it up front, you could get them to pay for it when they need it.)

I wish I had read all the terrible reviews about their customer service before buying the machine, and that’s the only reason I’m writing this - future buyers need to beware if they think they can run a business off of the Pro unit. This has put us in a terrible position with clients and others that we supply to. I can’t even imagine offering this type of service to my own clients.

Sorry you feel that way but I don’t think this is the way to win friends and influence people. As you have stated they have in fact emailed you, you responded and then they ask another question, they are making every attempt to solve your issue. Replacing a part or machine is the last resort. They are plenty of us that have our printers for years, have had issues and received the support they committed to and the staff at that pint was smaller than they are now. They make every effort to assist the customer as quickly as possible and they prioritize the issues as they come in. Also, if you think we all don’t need real timely service you are totally incorrect, we all do. Just FYI, I have called support for other major company’s and have received a lot worse, like no response at all…

4 Likes

Perhaps you’re right. (And clearly I’ve given up on the diplomatic approach because it’s gotten me nowhere, and I’m ready to jump ship regardless.) It’s just not what I expected from a professional standpoint, and I’m really kicking myself for not researching that ahead of time. People should know going in that the support is not what most professionals would expect. So, I’m putting it out there and letting people know exactly what they can expect.

This is my second time going through this, and I’ve owned the GF for under a year - it’s still under warranty. They replaced the whole unit the first time, so this is my second new unit in a year. I can’t imagine how many times in a year I would have to go through this if the unit were older? I can’t possibly have just gotten two lemons? (And we treat this thing like an absolute queen with daily cleanings and routine maintenance.)

1 Like

Ouch.
Every business should have a plan B, and it sounds like you are in the middle of an education as to why. A single machine for production is quite the potential bottleneck.

Sounds like you may be in the position to step up to an industrial machine.

Sorry for your predicament. My experience over three years has been great, so I never needed support, however, Support is a well known issue - but evolving.

What happened to your print head?

5 Likes

Just to let you know the machine is manufactured by a third party and not Glowforge. I am a professional and have had issues with customer service at Microsoft, HP and Dell. So , yes, even major company’s have issue with customer service, but that didn’t stop me from using their products. I have sent computers back and had them replaced due to issues beyond their control. My customers know that I can only fix what I can and then it has to be replaced. One thing I have learned over my 20 years in the Military and 24 years with the Government is ALWAYS have a back up plan, if you don’t well then too bad, chances are it won’t go well…

As the saying goes, don’t put all your eggs in one basket…

2 Likes

Yep - definitely a growing pain! And a lesson learned. Well, several lessons, really.

1 Like

Since you have already communicated by email and this is a discussion between forum members, I am moving this thread to another category to prevent duplication.

I do hear you - and yes, we are developing a backup plan. I’m not sure the fact that other companies have poor customer service is really an excuse for Glowforge having it, too. But that’s just my opinion. I do appreciate your perspective - thank you.

3 Likes

Not an excuse , just reality that there are others and chances are you deal with too.

Oh, and I don’t know what happened to the print head - it started with tons of air assist fan warnings, lots of overheating, and then today I noticed that the lens is falling down slightly in the shaft that it’s in and is covering the opening to the air assist fan (which I assume accounts for all the warnings and overheating). Now it won’t even focus or start up.

I get that they are trying to go through all the possible issues, but a 15 minute conversation could have eliminated all of this in a timely manner. Or even a more chat style troubleshooting so that we could get through all the issues in a short time and move to a solution (which I still don’t have).

1 Like

That’s definitely true.

There is a chat function available is the support section of the UI.

Is there really? I’m not seeing it - I only see the option to message, which is how I contacted them.

When someone is available to man it.

1 Like

The lens moves up and down to focus in the head; that’s normal behavior. And the air assist fan is the one on the back of the carriage, not the tiny one on the back of the print head. I think what you’re seeing there is normal behavior and not related to your overheating warnings. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m terribly sorry to hear about the trouble you’ve been experiencing.

I’ve just replied to your email with more information. I’ll continue to work on this with you through email, so this post will be closed.