CA and BLO as a finish

I just rescaled this kitchen knife and as the first one I have done there is a lot that is wrong with it but I wanted to post the way I finished it as it should work great for a lot of small GF projects.

I stumbled across this on the interwebs and mostly pen turners use it but it works great for any small smooth project.

Just sand smooth, apply a light coat of BLO (boiled linseed oil), then put a small amount of thin CA (super glue) on a shop towel and rub it in briskly. Don’t stop moving or you can end up gluing the towel to your part.
The BLO acts as an accelerant for the CA and everything is dry almost instantly. No hours between coats. Apply two or three coats and then polish.

39 Likes

I’m one of those that use CA finish on my pens and it does work great once you get the hang of applying it. I use an accelerator spray after applying rather than linseed oil before the CA. Nice job!

11 Likes

I’ve seen just the CA and accelerator as well and experimented with it on a scrap. I guess it depends on the wood as for this maple the CA BLO combo works great.

6 Likes

Whoa, that’s a new one on me! I’m definitely going to have to try that!

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I wonder if it works for guitars…

2 Likes

That would be a lot of CA glue and it ain’t cheap…

5 Likes

The finish is pretty hard too!
I don’t see anything wrong with it… the craftsman/artist who made it has the most critical eye.

4 Likes

Just a safety note: linseed oil left on a towel or rag can sometimes rapidly oxidize and start a fire. Please store it away from your home or dispose of quickly. This is especially true of fresh oil.

10 Likes

I think it would be great for little detail parts but unless you have a good cheep source for ca doing the body would be cost prohibitive.

4 Likes

Good point. You are using small amounts with this but as with any finishing oil, take precautions.

4 Likes

Question for the hivemind: Is using CA on leather exothermic?

@volivaa’s safety note reminded me of something from when I was a teenager (long, long ago in a galaxy far away) — I used CrazyGlue (CA) to repair a leather belt, and remember that the join grew uncomfortably hot when I held it together with my fingers. Haven’t though of this in decades, but now I’m curious as to appropriate adhesives for leather.

5 Likes

I don’t know about leather in particular but accelerated curring of ca very much produces a lot of heat.

2 Likes

And be careful disposing the rag. We had some contractors almost burn our new house down by letting a soaked rag laying around. It luckily only burned some scrap wood. If it ended a few inches closer to the rough framed wall, it would have come out worse.

5 Likes

When joining two SOFT pieces of leather or belt type leather, you must make sure that the surfaces you’re going to join are un-treated and rough, then a THIN layer of rubber or contact cement on both surfaces and let dry til still wet but not quite pull clean from your finger tacky…THIS is the trick.

Cheers.

4 Likes