"Caged Heart" Dice jail

Hi Everyone! My steampunk bug bit me again and I decided to make something that would hold more than just one small bag of dice, so I present what I’m going to call the “Caged Heart” dice jail. It turned out so well I thought I’d share it. Personal use only, of course, file image is at the end. I also explain some of the process as some bits of the layering may be confusing. Perfectly holds 5 sets of polyhedral dice. Does need glue, both for slots (they ended up a hair loose) and layering.

Below is a shot of all the pieces cut out before coloring. Run time just under 12 minutes, all scores and cuts, no engraves. Score Purple, Cut Red, then cut Black. The eight wedges go around the under side of the floor piece to give the bottom the second layer without using more material. The heart cut out of the middle of the piece with the four tabs is to make the heart on the lid thicker for grabbing. The big circle with the gear scored on it goes BETWEEN the big “snowflake” gear and the piece with the four tabs. See profile of lid piece in second photo above.

Here’s a photo of the pieces colored (I didn’t have the piece with the four tabs in the frame when I took it, sorry). When I’m stacking layers, I take a black Sharpie around the edge of the facing sides to hide the line that inevitably shows, like on the bottom heart and the bottom octagon. Ignore the dark spot in the middle of the scored gear, I was color testing on a spot I knew wouldn’t be visible when assembled). I used metallic bronze, gold, and silver sharpie, with a layer of light brown over the gold and bronze, and dark gray over the silver, to dirty it all up a bit. Red sharpie for the heart detail.

And the bottom so you can see what that looks like.

And finally, the file, right click and save as:
Heart cylinder box

Tweak if you’d like, but as is, it loads to the GFUI as 4 steps, 1 step that should be scored, 2 red lined cuts, and 1 black lined cut. Run them in that order so pieces cut from the insides to the outsides. The piece with the four tabs is very slightly smaller than it’s hole, for clearance, so the “Double cut” there is intentional. All eight side pieces are the same size, so you could do 8 solid pieces, or all 8 like a full jail, mix and match however you like.

Thanks for stopping and taking a look, hope you enjoy the file, please post pics if you make one, and until next creation, Happy Forging!!

74 Likes

What a great share! Thank you so much.

11 Likes

Wonderful share and a very clear explanation of the process. Thank you so much.

7 Likes

Nice, thanks for sharing!

8 Likes

You’re so generous - thank you for sharing!

7 Likes

Lovely design and thank you for sharing.

4 Likes

Beautiful! What thickness is the wood?

6 Likes

Ah, yes, sorry, proofgrade medium draftboard, 1/8"

5 Likes

That’s really coooool!!

4 Likes

This is awesome, thanks for sharing! I don’t have polyhedral dice, but it’ll be great for all our other dice!

5 Likes

Love this one

5 Likes

And with the option to replace/do all 8 walls as solid, it doesn’t even really need to be for dice at all!

4 Likes

So true!! Looking forward to making this!!

3 Likes

Pretty… Thank you

4 Likes

You are so generous—thanks so much!

5 Likes

Wow…this looks like a real fun project. Thank you for providing the files and such detailed instructions.

3 Likes

This is awesome

2 Likes

Love the hexagon shape for many things. Thank you so much!

3 Likes

Very cool, Thanks for sharing

2 Likes

Love this Dice jail but I am new here. How do I get the template or whatever it is called so I can cut it?
TIA
CMeyers

1 Like