Camera Lens Adjustments Crystal Clear

Hi everyone. For months I struggled with the camera focus. I would constantly set “Focus” but to no avail, it was always so blurry that it was a shot in the dark trying to place anything even closely centered on my boards. Well, I unscrewed the camera, cleaned it (not dirty), and screwed it back in all of the way. Worse than what it was. Perplexed, I decided to unscrew it some. It actually then looked somewhat better. Unscrewed it more, got even better. Finally unscrewed the camera lens until it is 100% crystal clear! OMG. I fought this for literally the past year and just dealt with it. So, if anyone else has run into this, this is how I was able to fix it on my Pro. Making cards with ornament cutouts for other teaching staff and family. I am stoked it now works!

7 Likes

You got lucky! The camera was supposed to be glued in place. I had often wondered if it wasn’t possible to correct the focus of the camera if the position wasn’t fixed.

5 Likes

It would be awesome if they left it adjustable so you could fine tune it if needed and then re run the camera calibration

2 Likes

These types of cameras are generally locked into focus where they are manufactured (not GF assembly) by using the tip of a hot element (like a soldering iron) to melt the threads where they meet the lens holder.

You got lucky with one that wasn’t secured correctly. I wish I could break mine free, as there is debris inside the lens that has been slowly degrading the camera image over time.

1 Like

Have you ran the camera calibration since then? or needed to? how is the alignment on the bed?

1 Like

This question is outside our team’s scope. I’ve moved it to the Beyond the Manual so the discussion can continue there.

1 Like

Yes I did . I have calibrated it twice in the past month. I do not do production work so it was not like I used it on a constant basis. I teach engineering, but I have my own personal maker space in my shop at home. I create things to show our students how they can take what they have learned in our PLTW Engineering program and create just about anything. I also use it to make special awards and stuff for our career and tech students.

5 Likes

Seems odd doesn’t it, without knowing the focal distance of the eventual application? I had assumed it was fixed during the machine assembly.

1 Like

Call it a suggestion??

1 Like

I wonder how many machines wouldn’t need to be sent back if the end user had the ability to just unscrew the lens clean it out and run a bed camera cal. or if it got scratched, just buy this cheap part and your 6000$ paperweight becomes a laser again hehe :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Oh wow, so glad you got it figured out! Sounds like the glue broke free at some point and it got out of focus. If it were me, I’d put a dab of glue or tape on it so it stays put and crud doesn’t get in there.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.