Camera tripod quick release

I was annoyed when my fairly cheap camera tripod mount broke today. Or just the little quick release piece that attaches to the camera broke.

I thought for a minute to see if I could buy a replacement of this itty plastic piece, but then thought, I can laser this.

:smiley:

A few quick measurements. A 30 second cut. A bit of glue. A tidbit of sanding. And I was back in business.

Here’s the file if it’s helpful, but I suspect you might need to measure your tripod to have it fit:
CameraMount

56 Likes

VERY SMART!!! Those are so easy to lose.

3 Likes

I heard someone talking about selling custom photography stuff might be a good niche… =P maybe start with something basic like this :smiley:

3 Likes

I love this!! Mine broke and I really should have made one for it!!! Well done!

3 Likes

LOVE IT. I have a tripod I lost my QR for. I may have to copy this.

5 Likes

Great practical cut and it will probably last longer than a new plastic piece.

2 Likes

That is incredible! I think I even have a tripod missing that very piece!

2 Likes

I love practical makes on the Glowforge. This totally ranks with me. :slightly_smiling_face:

I once couldn’t find a rubber gasket for an old tub. After way too much time spent searching for something on the internet, I realized I could cut one out myself. 10 minutes later, I had a gasket.

5 Likes

That is so great. Have you consider selling the file? I would love to make a couple.

Thanks, “Sam”

I didn’t share the file because I kind of assumed the size and shape of these is pretty non-standard.

So you probably want to measure and cut yourself.

But if you want to give mine a try, here’s the SVG:
CameraMount|1x3, 1000%

Basically just glue them together, then sand down the edge of the bigger piece to an angle such that it fits in your tripod.

3 Likes

Thank you very much.