Can a GF slice up a PCB?

Hopefully have my GF soon, already have the proofgrade.
I am just wondering though, I have a lot of PCB’s that are 10x10cm and have multiple little circuit designs on them. I usually cut them up by hand but am wondering if the GF will be able to cut through them. They are standard 1.6mm FR-4 (glass-reinforced epoxy laminate).
Though having just looked this up, FR-4 is a composite material composed of woven fiberglass cloth with an epoxy resin binder that is flame resistant (self-extinguishing), I am guessing it may be a ‘NO’.

Epoxy is bad stuff to laser… and copper will reflect the beam

short answer NO…

2 Likes

Universal Laser Systems says it can be done, though I would still refer to the safety sheet from the manufacturer before cutting.

https://www.ulsinc.com/materials/fr4/g10

YMMV, but my read of the ULS page seems to refer to blank boards without any circuit traces. Op mentions:

I wouldn’t risk it on my GF, but that’s just my opinion.

If your circuits are in a repeating pattern, you might be able to make a nice router or saw jig to help cut them quickly and accurately?

1 Like

that is the route I would go. a nice sharp router bit. and you could even use one of those mini routers if you don’t already have a router.

There would be no copper where I want to cut, only plain board. I do have a CNC but don’t have a vacuum bed so holding the board in place has been an issue. However, thinking on the fly, perhaps I should CNC out a recess in a piece of MDF that allows the PCB to fit snuggly and use a down cut bit .