Can dried pasta be laser cut?

Sand it down :slight_smile:

1 Like

I used to make frozen lasagna with cooked noodles. (hey, if youā€™re making lasagna, you may as well make 5 pans and load the freezer. One long sweaty afternoon, many meals.)

Then somebody clued me in that you can do it with uncooked lasagna. World changed. Just make sure thereā€™s enough sauce to keep the noodles moist while cooking, so it doesnā€™t come out crispy.

Several months ago I really tried to get somebody on the forum to say that I could use a separate honeycomb, or wipe down the interior. Same premise and suggestions as @soldiercoleman
How much precaution would be enough to make it ok to use the same glowforge for food and plastic?

Nobody would venture to agree that it could be done.

I canā€™t justify a $3500 lasagna and gingerbread cutter when I am still using a $30 blender. (been drooling over blendtec since they were k-tec.)

The temptation is real. My death would be on my own hands, Iā€™m well aware. The temptation is real.

9 Likes

I donā€™t know about anyone else, but I think if I want to cut/engrave some food in my laser cutter Iā€™m just going to go for it. I think I would be more worried about the food making a mess of the laser cutter than the laser cutter somehow contaminating the food. The grease or sugar (or whatever) in the food catching fire would be concerning too.

As far as food safety goes, I guess the air assist might pick up contaminants and force them into the food to some extent. Makes sense, right? That doesnā€™t worry me, but maybe Iā€™m just naive. Other than that, I prolly wouldnā€™t want to put the food directly onto the honeycomb (that sounds gross and messy to me).

7 Likes

Can you? Yes. Should you? I dunno.

Hereā€™s some pasta being cut. This is some multigrain spaghetti, the box doesnā€™t say ā€œangel hairā€, or anything like that, but it seems to be pretty small. I also tried some cellentani pasta (I think thatā€™s what it is, the bag says ā€œtwistsā€) which also cut, but the shape wasnā€™t conducive to focusing so the cut wouldnā€™t necessarily go all the way through.
(no meaningful audio - prepare to mute)

15 Likes

Now that is interesting cutting pastasciutta. Definite potential for creating some interesting mouth feel.

4 Likes

I agree, Iā€™m personally not worried about being trace amounts of acrylic or wood in my food. Iā€™ve eaten far worse things than that.

13 Likes

You are out of likes. You must wait 6 hours.

Just thought Iā€™d share in the ā€œeaten far worseā€ category. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Said everyone who has been in the military! :grin: :fearful: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

or public schoolā€¦

11 Likes

Or gone campingā€¦

5 Likes

or to a fast food restaurantā€¦

3 Likes

I canā€™t like enough. That had me giggling and going into a maniacal evil genius laugh. My favorite video of the dayā€¦ possibly the week. Thanks for those 36 seconds.

ā€œEaten far worseā€ category is pretty funny.

This discussion is EXACTLY what I was trying to get a few months agoā€¦ a community consensus that I may not die of lasered gingerbread after making an edge-lit acrylic sign.

I hadnā€™t even dreamed of pasta - but the evil maniacal laugh is still going.

School lunch, fast food, my college roommateā€™s dinners, some meals Iā€™ve made myselfā€¦ Ramen. Boxed Macā€™nā€™cheeseā€¦ halloween candy for breakfastā€¦

Thank you thank you thank you.

And to the Glowforge Lawyers, I know you donā€™t advise it.
Life is a risk.

7 Likes