We have all been waiting for a long time for our Glowforge!! The news is encouraging, and it looks like my pre-order Pro might actually get here in the next few months… here is my problem.
I’m planning on doing some traveling overseas for 3-6 months. So, not that it’s almost time to receive my GF… I’m not in a position to use it just yet.
Given all of the delays, would I be able to request a “delayed” deliver of my unit until Spring, 2018? I’d hate to cancel and loose my benefits, but also hate for my warranty to just tick away unused.