Can I reycle my acrylic leftovers?

I have left over sheets of acrylic that cannot even be used to make scrap items. Does anyone know where I can send it to be recycled as opposed to tossing them in the garbage?

1 Like

going to move this to the “everything else” section as you are not posting a free design.

1 Like

Acrylic is generally not recyclable.

1 Like

Oops. Thank you. I didn’t catch that I posted it in the wrong place.

1 Like

I went looking for acrylic recycling shortly after I first got my Glowforge. I intended to follow up with the community but, never did.

Acrylic is a category 7 plastic, difficult to recycle but, not impossible.

I found an Italian company, Madreperla, who is doing it. They also have some really pretty finished stock that would be fun to use.

http://www.greencastus.com/recycled-acrylic-process

Unfortunately, their U.S. office ignored multiple inquiries from me both about recycling scrap and their products. I haven’t seen their stuff available from any distributors. So, I’m not sure what their deal is.

3 Likes

Ok…I just didn’t want to toss a bunch of acrylic scrap. Thank you for the reply.

Got it. I am not an archeologist by any means so I figured they could just melt the stuff back together, press it into a sheet and voila, a new piece of acrylic to use. lol

2 Likes

No worries :slight_smile:

1 Like

It might also be worth the community contemplating creative recycling approaches for acrylic scrap. Could it be ground or broken up and used as a filler for something? Mixed into a resin to provide inexpensive bulk? Something else?

1 Like

While I have never found a recycle for it those leftovers are like a chicken carcass. as you get farther in you’ll be amazed at how small of pieces are usable.

Do you have a lifetime supply of hold-down pins yet? Well, that is a great use of smallish scrap. Nameplates, key fobs, inserts… yeah, just don’t throw away anything with any meat on it at all.

8 Likes

My EU supplier of acrylic carries greencast. It is just like any acrylic available in a variety of colors. It is probably just a matter of finding an outlet that carries it.

1 Like

I have seen folk use colored glass scrap by mixing it with a binder and grinding the surface flat for a very colorful “terrazzo”, I bet that would work as well for acrylic as “stepping stones” in a garden. Perhaps cast with resin and some LEDs. :grin:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.