Can I use a smart plug to turn Glowforge on and off?

This may seem like an odd question, but can I control the power to my Glowforge with a smart switch? So that rather than turning it on and off, I just cut the power to the receptacle and keep the switch in the on position. Would/could that cause any damage to the internal power supply? Thanks!

Yes.

2 Likes

Yes to which of the two questions actually asked?
Is it yes to the first question if it’s OK to use the smart plug?
OR yes to answer the last question if it can damage the internal power supply?

(I suspect yes, it’s OK, as long as it’s not also surge protector, right?)

There is no harm in using a surge protected power strip or power supply, although the manual says you should plug directly into a wall outlet solely for legal reasons.

Yes to using a smart switch as a means of turning the unit on or off.

Since the unit has a hard switch which kills all power and it does not require ‘safe shutdown’ it should be fine.

3 Likes

I would just add to be sure and use a relay or “appliance” type, not a dimmer.

1 Like

Thanks!

Thanks! Oh, legal speak. Not as bad as the manual for an electric lawn mower I just bought and on the second page boiler plate info it lists “Do NOT use outside”. Did I miss a trend to grow lawns inside?

5 Likes

Thanks for confirming!

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve got a non-legal recommended wemo insight on mine. Been fine since I got it. Remote access to let updates run when notices are released and ability to turn it back off too.

Yep, for convenience I have both my inline fan and GF on the same smartplug, connected to my Alexa.

“Alexa, turn on Lucifer” is my call to action

2 Likes

As long as the contacts in the smart plug are rated for the amount of power the machine draws it would be fine. it would all be based off the relay

:joy:

3 Likes

Got mine setup for “Turn on the Glowforge” for both fan and machine, seems I may need to up my smart plug name game :thinking:

2 Likes

Yes but does Lucifer turn on Alexa? I can just hear the sound effects now.

5 Likes

Lucifer = Light Bringer = seems appropriate for a laser.

Want I wanted to do was call it Goldfinger and program Alexa to respond with “Do you expect me talk?” but I couldn’t make that work

4 Likes

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.