Can I use Print Shop with the Glowforge

Did you try MacKiev’s website? I’ve got Print Shop 4 for Mac and this is where I got it:

Edit: Oh hey, it never occurred to me to try this program with the Glowforge so I just now did. It turns out it works quite well to do text and simple shapes. I tried the Headline function to create the text, and a square shape for a vector cut. I exported as a pdf. The text came into the Glowforge as an engrave, which I was able to change to a score or cut, and the square shape came in as a cut (which you could also change to score or engrave). The only problem is that the page boundary also came in, as a full sheet engrave. You can set it to Ignore, but you can’t move around any elements within it. So you would have to make sure the layout is as you want it in Print Shop before exporting.

3 Likes

I use Inkscape & I find it fairly easy to use. As far as fonts go you can always download fonts from sites like DaFont and you will have an endless inventory.

2 Likes

Yes. I tried MacKiev before…and tried it again just now. Had a live chat;

I want to buy PrintShop 4 and it keeps taking me to the education store. Help!
Nathan
15:42
Hello Marj!
The Print Shop 4 Academic Version is no longer available to purchase except by schools, effective January 1, 2018. We will of course let you know if that changes or if we develop any new print productivity products that are not just for schools.
Marj
15:43
I don’t want the academic version. I want the regular version for my iMac.
Nathan
15:43
We do not sell it except to schools/

•••••

Wow…are all of you who bought it, buying for a school?

Wow, that is strange! I bought version 1 a few years ago and have kept upgrading it since. It certainly did not have that requirement then. Let me look into this.

1 Like

So I went to their website and saw this:

“This title is temporarily unavailable.” I wonder if it is because they are about to release a newer version. My last upgrade to version 4 was in early December 2017. I don’t know how close it was to the end of the upgrade cycle. My advice would be to keep an eye on it and see if they have a new version come out. It should be available to everybody, not just education users.

3 Likes

Yeah…I saw that, too. I agree about them being exclusive to educators. I need equal education rights, too! Thanks for checking it out.:smile:

2 Likes

We can’t speak to Print Shop specifically, but as a general rule, any software that can save as an SVG or PDF with letters as vectors, and if those vectors have an associated stroke and not just a fill. If you’ve got a file that fits that description, but isn’t working, we would be happy to take a look.

> However, it will not cut, only engrave which is not what I want to do.

Trace has an optional second step! You can click on white areas, and the Glowforge app will create the vector lines around the traced art. You’ll need to click inside letters like O as well, to get the cut lines into the enclosed spaces.

1 Like

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.