Can I use snap marks to print larger projects on the basic bed (not passthrough)?

Hi gang, first-time poster here. I’ve scoured everything I could find about snap marks, looking for info about the potential of snap marks for extending the max cut/score size for basic/plus beds (no passthrough). Basically I’m trying to figure out how I could take a 17" x 17" piece of wood, cut/engrave the bottom of the design using snap marks, and then rotate the wood 180 degrees to finish the design. If the design was sliced into two files, is there a way to get snap marks to work for me? Much obliged for any extra brain power on this…

You’d have to trick the laser into thinking the door is closed, which is not recommended by GF.

I don’t have Snapmarks (yet, still hoping) but in as much as the bed is only 12 inches deep that’d be the only way to cut 17".

1 Like

Actually I think 17” will fit inside the machine front to back.

4 Likes

Welcome to the group! :grinning:

I was about to completely nix the idea of rotating the piece, but then I got to thinking about it, and it might actually work. 17 x 17 is pushing it - you would have to split it exactly along the center of the design and reflect the bottom half of the design (but not the Snapmarks) in your second file.

It’s an interesting puzzle - I actually like those so I might try to find time to run a test or two later today. You probably could get 16 x 16 without too much trouble.

6 Likes

Thanks Jules! I’ve read your tutorial through a few times and I feel like this is theoretically possible, but am still have a bit of a time wrapping my head around exactly how. If the machine would read the snap marks upside down, it would be easy peasy! Love to hear your thoughts if you do get a chance :slight_smile:

I’ve considered doing this as well, but haven’t had a project that needed it yet to try it out. My plan had been to do the design I wanted, split it in half and color it appropriately into different jobs. Include upside-down snapmarks on the first set of cuts, but close to the middle. Then cut/score/engrave the first part of the job including scoring the upside-down snapmarks, rotate the piece, rotate the design in the UI, snap, finish the job.

Seems like it should work, but I’d love to know for sure…

Thanks so much Jeffrey, that line of thinking makes sense to me! I’ll try it out this weekend and let you know how it goes! :smile:

It works perfectly :slight_smile: You don’t even need to flip the snap marks, they read upside-down once they are scored on the first file and the substrate and file are rotated for the second. Very pleased :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Interesting that the snapmarks will read upside down - I didn’t think that worked! This will be useful knowledge for future projects!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.