Can I use this old redwood?

I built my kids a new treehouse three years ago and I kept all of the redwood from which it was built. It was stained once upon a time ago, but it’s pretty distressed now. I was thinking these planks would make perfect signs for the GF.

Is it ok to use this in the forge?

14 Likes

I would use that in a heartbeat.
As long as it is within the available z height I say go for it and show us the results!

9 Likes

Awesome! What is the height? My GF should be here in the next 7-10 days.

1 Like

The full specs are here:

But…

Maximum material height: 2″ (50mm)
Maximum material height with tray: 0.5″ (13mm)

1 Like

That is beautiful wood! :heart_eyes: make sure to post pics of what you do with it.

1 Like

I have been busy doing copper wire tests on various materials I have laying around that will eventually get put into my cutter (or tossed far far away).
For the various woods I have been examining this.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

The referenced reactions are explained a little bit more at the botom of the page.

edit: quick alert. First time I went to the listed site I lost an afternoon. You have been warned.

4 Likes

There are a couple of caveats you should be aware of – it may char easier than some other woods, and deep engraves may produce more gummy residue. And if you have anything that’s pressure-treated you might want to do some research on lasering it.

Cool!

You’ll have to remove the crumb tray, prop it up and then do some math to obtain your focus height. There is a thread around here about that. Also, maximum length with be 20 inches so some of those pieces will need to be cut down. But are you crazy? Of course you should laser it (assuming no weird treatment has to be done to wood before importing it into Hawaii.)

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. Most of those planks are 1/2", some are 3/4" thick. I’ll experiment with some throw-away pieces to see how it behaves. This wood is really dry, so I don’t think there will be much residue but I don’t know what I’m talking about lol.

I might cut some of those in 1/2 to make it go further; I would just need to distress the wood on the ends where I cut it. Woodcraft sells this stuff that distresses wood (basically just rots it and dyes it at the same time) that I may try on the ends.

I figured I would just stay far far away from pressure-treated/borite-treated framing lumber. Home Depot sells cedar “dogear” fencing pieces that are very inexpensive that I may play with. They’re not treated so it should be ok.

I have the Pro model coming, so the 20" limit is one I can work around.

1 Like

Except the pass through slot is not that tall, unless you plan on sanding or planing it to thickness.

2 Likes

The maximum thickness for the passthrough slot is 1/4 inch.

Looks like I’ll be planing them down, then. Thanks.

1 Like