Can someone recommend a newb-friendly woodworking forum?

It’s important than even if your studies lead you to mastery, one continues to be a student.

Sounds like you’re on the right path. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Jimmy Diresta is a maker extraordinaire. I’m sure most are familiar, but he does a lot of woodworking, and tends to use all sorts of different techniques, just to show how they can be done. He’ll do episodes will all hand tools, or just a drill and circular saw, and then move into full CNC, machining, etc.

5 Likes

Short answer: YouTube.
Less jerky of an answer: Woodworking For Mere Mortals YouTube channel, The Wood Whisperer YouTube channel, Jay Bates YouTube channel, I Like To Make Stuff YouTube channel, my YouTube channel :wink: (www.youtube.com/bruceaulrich). Some of my videos are not too basic, but some of them are. Might be something to help you out.

I’ve learned a lot from all of those other channels.

2 Likes

The Wood Whisperer has a fantastic YouTube channel. That video you mentioned was a really good one recently.

@markwal Great suggestions!

If anyone wants a premium membership for Instructables for 3 months, I have a couple of codes I’m not using. Just let me know and I’ll send you one.

2 Likes

paulsellers.com

For a gentle, clear and thoughtful approach to woodworking with a focus on traditional hand tools. In my opinion the perfect companion to the glowforge.
You will be amazed at all you can do without power tools, starting with building your own woodworkers bench with a literally just a few hand tools and lumber from Home Depot.

Highly recommended.

6 Likes

Yeah, that guy is awesome.

I’ll go a different direction and just say don’t be afraid to ask questions in this forum about woodworking. It’s definitely one of the materials a lot of people here use and I’m betting that a lot of people are using the Glowforge with other woodworking tools.

As far as finishing goes I’ve been finishing my own Baltic Birch plywood. I call it Jamie Grade and have had great luck with it. It works out to be significantly cheaper than Proofgrade and while it is not quite as nice I find it a better value for my needs.

I have seen lots of trees, cut some down, cut more big pieces of lumber into small pieces and made more things than I can count. I would consider myself an average woodworker as I don’t work on too many really hard projects. My hats off to those that recreate period furniture, or turn hollow wood vessels, and push the boundaries of what can be done with wood.

7 Likes

Absolutely feel free to start a woodworking thread here!

(Oh wait… too late! :wink: )

4 Likes

I’ll start another thread for a specific topic… I have to find some example photos to show what I am trying to do. It’s probably pretty easy.